How time flies!

pierces

20 years?!?  I sort of knew that but was still surprised when I saw this today. 

image.png.6abb65dfeaca61c633dc7c087c80a0ef.png

I ran into CC while browsing randomly and we joined a Meet & Mingle thread for a Caribbean cruise later in the year. By sailaway I think it had over 2000 replies. It seems that long threads just don't happen anymore. I wonder what contributed to that.  Was it more people cruising with friends and family with less desire to meet people? Maybe the rise of ports-of-call-specific threads that answer the questions about destinations that were common back then? Who knows?

I'm not sure when I stumbled onto this photo forum. I think it was sometime in 2004 or 2005. Anyway, it has been one of my favorite places to yak about cameras and photo stuff since then. Nice, helpful people are the vast majority rule here and over the years, the few who weren't were strongly encouraged to find other entertainment elsewhere. (Still are.)  I think the thing I like most is the flood of people who jump in and offer help or advice when a question is asked. It keeps me thinking that the world doesn't suck as much as the news lets on. 

Anyway, thanks to everybody here; the regulars, the occasionals and even the lurkers (who are strongly encouraged to post 😉) for making this an enjoyable 20-year habit.

Dave

Edited by pierces
  • Like 3

On 2/24/2023 at 6:00 AM, pierces said:

20 years?!?  I sort of knew that but was still surprised when I saw this today. 

image.png.6abb65dfeaca61c633dc7c087c80a0ef.png

I ran into CC while browsing randomly and we joined a Meet & Mingle thread for a Caribbean cruise later in the year. By sailaway I think it had over 2000 replies. It seems that long threads just don't happen anymore. I wonder what contributed to that.  Was it more people cruising with friends and family with less desire to meet people? Maybe the rise of ports-of-call-specific threads that answer the questions about destinations that were common back then? Who knows?

I'm not sure when I stumbled onto this photo forum. I think it was sometime in 2004 or 2005. Anyway, it has been one of my favorite places to yak about cameras and photo stuff since then. Nice, helpful people are the vast majority rule here and over the years, the few who weren't were strongly encouraged to find other entertainment elsewhere. (Still are.)  I think the thing I like most is the flood of people who jump in and offer help or advice when a question is asked. It keeps me thinking that the world doesn't suck as much as the news lets on. 

Anyway, thanks to everybody here; the regulars, the occasionals and even the lurkers (who are strongly encouraged to post 😉) for making this an enjoyable 20-year habit.

Dave

And it was 15 years ago this month that we met on Mercury.  I have appreciated your expertise and advice ever since.

Currently on Noordam from Auckland to Sydney 😆

• Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 12:00 PM, pierces said:

Congratulations on 20 years and thank YOU Dave! Cruise Critic's longevity and strength is in no small part thanks to the dedication and commitment of its community. 

Week in, week out, you post a prompt to get everyone sharing what's freshest on their memory cards and camera rolls, and which is fun for everyone. Fostering creativity, knowledge, ideas, benefits the community and enhances the experience, and that's always a fine thing.

Things have definitely changed somewhat since 2003 (my own start date with the org goes further back! 😳) and it's been amazing to encounter so many incredible people, and keep making discoveries. 

What's never changed are the remarkable people in our community. Some kind of special magic around here, it's always been such a wonderful place thanks to them–long-timers and newcomers alike–, including members like you.

Thanks for cruising 20 years with us, shall we carry on then to Pic of the Week 9 and another 20 years? 🥳 👏

In Appreciation,

Colleen

• Thanks 1