Nha Trang Vietnam

paulj4981

We visited Nha Trang in January 2020, just before Covid. When we got off the ship there were lines of taxis waiting, and their drivers were offering to take people on tours, to the beach, etc. We just wanted a ride to the beach area, so that we could go for a scenic walk, wander, seafood lunch, get massages. We walked past the first couple of guys and then took a ride with a guy who offered a more reasonable rate. We spent the day as planned, and it was easy (and cheaper) to get a ride back to the pier when we were ready. It was a very enjoyable day. 

1 hour ago, terry&mike said:

We visited Nha Trang in January 2020, just before Covid. When we got off the ship there were lines of taxis waiting, and their drivers were offering to take people on tours, to the beach, etc. We just wanted a ride to the beach area, so that we could go for a scenic walk, wander, seafood lunch, get massages. We walked past the first couple of guys and then took a ride with a guy who offered a more reasonable rate. We spent the day as planned, and it was easy (and cheaper) to get a ride back to the pier when we were ready. It was a very enjoyable day. 

Thank you

13 hours ago, paulj4981 said:

Hi, does anybody know if you can book a tour excursion when you get off the ship in Nha Trang with locals, or would I have to book a trip through Royal Caribbean? Thanks

No!  If you are expecting a group of professional tour guides just waiting at the port, it is not going to happen.  Unless things have changed, you will tender into a small pier located inside a secure port area.  There will be taxis, and some folks (good and bad) who will try to get your business.   The last time we were in Nha Trang, DW and I walked a long way (over a mile) to a local beach club.

If you want a local tour, you can negotiate with a taxi driver and hope for the best.  It will be hit/miss with some drivers speaking some English and others only knowing a few words.  Some might give you a decent drive/tour and others will not!  Nha Trang has actually become a major travel destination for Russians, so the odds are better that you will find a Russian speaking guide :).  When DW and I were at a decent beach club, a majority of the folks we met on the beach (and in the associated cafe) were all from Russia.  

Just a tidbit, but when I was first in Nha Trang back in 1970 (Vietnam War) we had a nice little air base in the town.  That airbase is now the local airport :).  I remember thinking (in 1970) that this part of Vietnam would someday be a decent beach resort city.  It never ocurred to me that it would be mostly Russian tourists that visited the city.  I will be curious to read some new reviews and find out if the Russian tourist business has been maintained during the Ukraine War.

Hank

This post is aimed only at those who are templed-out

I cringe when I see folk on this forum asking about beach resorts, Disney parks & such. 

Why would anyone go halfway round the world to spend their time doing stuff that they can do more economically and easily in their own country ?????????

But we did just that at Nha Trang🙄

A long cruise with six days in Vietnamese ports, we were templed-out, we needed a break from exploring the country and its people. 

At Nha Trang we berthed in the town (small ship, most berth a few miles out-of-town). Our berth was under a cable-car to the leisure park of VinPearl on the island of Hon Tre

The cablecar station was near the ship, and we needed a break - so we took the day off.

And what a very cheap, interesting and relaxing  day it was. Kinda like Disney on valium.

It included a small funfair, a huge water-park with all the toys, a glorious beach, and an excellent aquarium.

The aquarium was one huge tank the size of a small warehouse and a curved glass walkway through at the bottom.  One of the shipmates that we'd hooked-up with was a teacher. Pointing to a sign in unintelligible Vietnamese she translated it for us - "Hammerhead shark, blah blah blah".

"No" said a Vietnamese lady behind us -  "the sign says Please Do Not Lean on the Glass"

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

That was some years ago - according to the 'web it now much more developed, has resort hotels, golf, etc. But a day ticket including the cablecar is still inexpensive

https://vinwonders.com/en/vinwonders-nha-trang/

JB 🙂

• Like 1