Luggage

LewLewBelle

Even as a seasoned traveler, I tend to overpack.  Everytime I go somewhere, I try to learn from my current packing situation and make mental notes for future travels.  In January we took 1 carryon, 1 backpack and shared 1 checked bag for a 14day cruise to Hawaii. We found that we didn't use many of the things we brought, so we are already planning to take just a carryon and backpack for each of us on our next 21 ay cruise! No more checked bags!  We found that a capsule wardrobe is key! We purchased Merino wool tee shirts and sweaters in basic colors. I bought a basic black merino wool short sleeve dress. They are a gamechanger! Lightweight/ breathable and no stink. I did do laundry once by bringing along lightweight detergent sheets. Next time, I will send out laundry to be done and handwash my fine wools once and lay flat to dry.

Edited by shiner6
  • Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 1:55 PM, ShakyBeef said:

Thank you.  It gets to me to see the judgment coming from people that seem to feel superior for packing less.  But their opinions will never change how I choose to do my vacation. 

The OP has been a member on CC since 2008, longer than most of us.  They are not a first time cruiser looking for opinions on how much they pack.  They asked a simple question about how much was allowed.  And when they mentioned how much they pack, a few people thought it was appropriate to denigrate them for it.

Although I fit what seems to be the common definition of an "overpacker," I don't consider it overpacking.  I use almost everything I bring, don't ever regret bringing any of it, have plenty of space in my cabin for my luggage, am not breaking any rules in so doing, don't affect anybody else's cruise experience with my amount of luggage, and am happy to do it my way.  Also, I pack considerably more 20-some cruises later than I did on my first cruise.😁

BTW, you are braver than I packing a whole suitcase of shoes.  I spread my several pairs (usually about 13 for a 7-day cruise) over a few suitcases, with my favourites in my carry-on.  If one suitcase were to go missing, and it be my suitcase full of shoes, I'd be devastated.😱🤣

I never thought of one of them going missing.  We drive to the terminal and carry our luggage on.  So it's not something I've had to worry about but that is a good idea.

• Like 3