Boarding Process in Cape Town

SEFlyer

Can anyone share their experience boarding QM2 for a voyage in Cape Town.  I’m trying to plan some accommodation prior to boarding QM2 next February 1 for a cruise to Fremantle.  Where do we check in and board QM2?  What time is usual for checkin?  What time for boarding?  Would appreciate info from others who have boarded in Cape Town.

1 hour ago, SEFlyer said:

Can anyone share their experience boarding QM2 for a voyage in Cape Town.  I’m trying to plan some accommodation prior to boarding QM2 next February 1 for a cruise to Fremantle.  Where do we check in and board QM2?  What time is usual for checkin?  What time for boarding?  Would appreciate info from others who have boarded in Cape Town.

We will be boarding in Cape Town on April 7th this year and received an email that said we would be checking in at the Mount Nelson Hotel, and then would be transported to the ship.

I think that on previous occasions passengers have checked in at the port, so it is difficult to say this far out where boarding will be.

1 hour ago, safarigal said:

We will be boarding in Cape Town on April 7th this year and received an email that said we would be checking in at the Mount Nelson Hotel, and then would be transported to the ship.

I think that on previous occasions passengers have checked in at the port, so it is difficult to say this far out where boarding will be.

Thanks.  What time of day do they want to check in at the Mount Nelson?

It varies, we've boarded at cruise terminal, in 2020 it was due to be at convention centre before it was cancelled, in 2019 we were initially told disembarkation at convention centre, but once on board this was changed to cruise terminal. this time on April 7th it's mount Nelson hotel. So it could be anywhere. 

We haven't had timing yet.

I'd plan your accommodation based on what you want to see in Capetown area, they'll arrange a taxi for you. Even if you stay at waterfront  it's  a complicated 800 yard walk to cruise terminal, OK without cases , but with cases need taxi.

8 hours ago, SEFlyer said:

Thanks.  What time of day do they want to check in at the Mount Nelson?

Our check in is at 1:30, but I am sure there will be check in times before and after ours. It is difficult to predict.

We will be checking in directly from the airport, but I agree with Windsurfboy, you should chose a hotel that fits in well with what you want to see in Cape Town, and arrange transport to take you to wherever you will be checking in on boarding day.

If we weren't flying in directly we would probably stay at the Mount Nelson, because I love the hotel!

1 minute ago, safarigal said:

Our check in is at 1:30, but I am sure there will be check in times before and after ours. It is difficult to predict.

We will be checking in directly from the airport.

Safarigal, when did you receive your check in time.  Did you hear because cunard arranged your flights.

We haven't heard yet. We didn't use Cunard to arrange flights ,  as it's our "winter home" .

15 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Safarigal, when did you receive your check in time.  Did you hear because cunard arranged your flights.

We haven't heard yet. We didn't use Cunard to arrange flights ,  as it's our "winter home" .

We received a "booking information" email from Cunard on February 14th. 

IMPORTANT NOTICES
Queen Mary 2 is scheduled to depart from the E Berth Passenger Terminal in Cape Town on Friday, 7th April. Check-in for Queen Mary 2 will take place at the Mount Nelson Hotel, 76 Orange St, Gardens, Cape Town, 8001, South Africa. Guests will then be transferred via shuttle to Queen Mary 2 for embarkation. We look forward to welcoming you on board Queen Mary 2.

It did not show our check in time, but I emailed Cunard to see if the arrival time of our plane (we are coming from Hoedspruit) would be a problem, and was told that our check in is at 1:30.

20 hours ago, SEFlyer said:

We got a taxi from Hotel to where Cunard check your baggage in, then  they bus you over to the ship. Having done this on three occasions it has been one of the best systems we have encountered  on many overseas cruises.

• Like 1