Baltimore gangway question

dianfarmer

18 minutes ago, dianfarmer said:

I will be cruising out of Baltimore in a wheelchair. The last time I sailed two employees pushed me up the gangway. They hardly made it. Just wondering if there is another way to board

My first cruise out of Baltimore, I found boarding the ship to be the most difficult of any port I sailed from. I cruised from Baltimore again in April 2022 and though nothing changed, since I was aware of the multiple cross backs it was easier for me.

What I noticed was that there was an employee at the entrance to the ramp offering cruisers to bypass the gangway and board the ship on a lower deck. I declined the opportunity but it was available last April. This was a Royal cruise, no reason to think the alternative entry has been removed.

15 hours ago, meadowlander said:

What I noticed was that there was an employee at the entrance to the ramp offering cruisers to bypass the gangway and board the ship on a lower deck. I declined the opportunity but it was available last April. This was a Royal cruise, no reason to think the alternative entry has been removed.

It was the same in December of 2022 - I used to travel with my mother who used a wheelchair, so I tend to notice accessibility issues in traveling. There was an option for those who needed it to board on deck 1 at pier level, rather than hiking up the ramps, which are quite long and quite steep.

Agreed, and I have read that one should speak to staff at the door upon arrival at the terminal, so they are aware of your needs.  I believe you will be directed to a separate waiting area, and taken to the lower entrance when crew are available to take you.

On 3/2/2023 at 9:35 PM, meadowlander said:

My first cruise out of Baltimore, I found boarding the ship to be the most difficult of any port I sailed from. I cruised from Baltimore again in April 2022 and though nothing changed, since I was aware of the multiple cross backs it was easier for me.

I’ve done the lower deck embarkation and debarkation on RCL numerous times in a scooter. if I recall correctly, that entry is being used for some loading of other things so I’d doubt it would be closed.  I’ve never had to ask to use the lower level access as the scooter is a good clue.  I have no idea what happens if you request wheelchair assists from the ship but I’d guess you’d be going via the top entrance.

it’s worth noting that the lower entrance is basically a tender entrance in ambiance   Etc and although they help you find the elevators you may need to ask which floor  you need to push based on where you want to go.

I knew you could go that way if you asked at checkin. Good to know there's somebody on the way out. I keep saying, I can do this, take my inhaler and have to keep moving to the side for others to pass while I rest it. I really need to own up to it now that I've been on both Pride and Legend many times.

2 hours ago, sammee said:

I knew you could go that way if you asked at checkin. Good to know there's somebody on the way out. I keep saying, I can do this, take my inhaler and have to keep moving to the side for others to pass while I rest it. I really need to own up to it now that I've been on both Pride and Legend many times.

I spent a lot of time with a walker still moving to the side!   I suggest you ask for a wheelchair to board, it can take slightly longer but it works boarding.  At one port in Canada the tides changed and I came back to multiple double backs that would still challenge most wheelchairs!  I asked the person checking the cards to get to the gangway to call and request  wheelchair.  If I never see a gangway that steep again it will be too soon.  Fwiw, these gangways were port specific, I believe Halifax! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

I spent a lot of time with a walker still moving to the side!   I suggest you ask for a wheelchair to board, it can take slightly longer but it works boarding.  At one port in Canada the tides changed and I came back to multiple double backs that would still challenge most wheelchairs!  I asked the person checking the cards to get to the gangway to call and request  wheelchair.  If I never see a gangway that steep again it will be too soon.  Fwiw, these gangways were port specific, I believe Halifax! 

Don't need a wheelchair. I wouldn't want to take from someone that does need it. Just need help with the awful ramp. I use my rescue inhaler before I start the walk, but of course it doesn't help. Just need that little help of avoiding it entering the ship.

2 hours ago, sammee said:

Don't need a wheelchair. I wouldn't want to take from someone that does need it. Just need help with the awful ramp. I use my rescue inhaler before I start the walk, but of course it doesn't help. Just need that little help of avoiding it entering the ship.

There are actually a lot of people that request wheelchairs because they can’t walk long distances.  That service just takes you to the ship and then leaves you to go back to shuttle others. 

for what it is worth, I think the distance to the lower level entry is much shorter. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

There are actually a lot of people that request wheelchairs because they can’t walk long distances.  That service just takes you to the ship and then leaves you to go back to shuttle others. 

for what it is worth, I think the distance to the lower level entry is much shorter. 

Thanks for the info, but like I said I don't need the w/c. It's only that ramp that takes the wind out of me. I can walk the whole distance of the ship (with some sitting breaks, lol). I try and keep moving within reason. Been on Pride & Legend numerous times, just never occurred to me to ask to use that entrance for embarkment day since I'm not using walker or wheelchair.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 7:12 AM, sammee said:

Thanks for the info, but like I said I don't need the w/c. It's only that ramp that takes the wind out of me. I can walk the whole distance of the ship (with some sitting breaks, lol). I try and keep moving within reason. Been on Pride & Legend numerous times, just never occurred to me to ask to use that entrance for embarkment day since I'm not using walker or wheelchair.

i do hear you.  I sound awful after walking very short distances!  Others wonder if I’m having an asthma attack or even a heart attack!  And, they seem to think I can answer questions that are more complex than yes or no😂  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dianfarmer said:

I have my own wheelchair but it’s too hard for my husband to push me up the ramp. Last time two men pushed me up and even they had a hard time. Figured there had to be an easier way 

Hubby helped an elderly woman push a chair in the carpeted terminal in Quebec. The crew was limited to just barely in the terminal and the elevator was at least half the length of the terminal!  She never would have made it!  Fortunately there were crew members at the gangway to push, but she was having trouble even getting that far!  Quebec was a port stop not embarkation.  

The wheelchair ramp for RCL is at pier level, if has an awning only part  of the way.  The ramp itself is fairly short and not very steep, there is also help there!  

Edited by Benthayer Gonbak