Room Temperatures

bschmitt

Can anyone tell me how well the air conditioners work on the Eurodam?  Specifically at night.  I seems like all the ships I've been on are warmer at night and we really like it colder at night.  I almost feels like they shut the air off in the middle of the night.  Just wondering if I should bring a fan.

Some of the older ships have linked ventilations systems, so when one cabin keeps a balcony door open, it can affect negatively other cabins on ths same linked system.

That has been an ongoing discussion issue on this site for years. Less so with the newer ships.  Also depends on where one is traveling as some older systems are not up to the stress - both too cold or too hot - when outside temperatures become more extreme.

Recent newer built Konigsdam has a very good cabin temperature set up, but we have noticed high degrees of variation on the older ships ourselves. Yes, cabins in the tropics - a normal  cabin range for HAL can be as high 75 degrees,  whereas 75 degrees in colder location can feel too cold.

The resident chief engineer who comments on thees issues claims they never "turn the A/C off at night -too inefficient - though that late night hot spell can be the result of many other factors: open balcony doors, the type of comforter bedding used, and one's own circadian rhythm that may take more time to adjust to new travel schedules.  And faulty equipment, so a call to the front desk is definitely in order.

Rule of thumb - the older the ship - the more issues one might have in finding a personal cabin temperature comfort zone - depending on where one is traveling. Less so on the newer builds which are more individually responsive. Eurodam is right in the middle of new and old. Have been on both and I don't remember any issues.

Ship classes from older to newer:

1.Zaandam/Voldendam

2. Oosterdam/Westerdam/Noordam/Zuiderdam

3. Eurodam/Nieuw Amsterdam

4. Konigsdam, Nieuw Statendam, Rotterdam

Cabin temperature controls can vary from older to newer ships - and itineraries sailed

We were on the Westerdam February 3-14 travelling around Thailand and Malaysia from Singapore.  When we got on board our room was too cold.  As the week progressed the room got warmer and warmer even though the temp setting was as low as possible.  We started to leave the drapes closed when we were out so the sun wouldn't warm the room too much.

We met one woman onboard who said the AC wasn't working in her room at all and this was on day four.  She even threatened to go sleep in one of the common areas since her room was too hot.

We also met one cruiser who didn't have any hot water in her room and another set of cruisers who only had hot water in their room.

The Westerdam seemed to be having problems on this cruise.

Edited by sj-cruiser

A  cruise in the equatorial zone (Singapore SEA in Feb) on the Westerdam  is a good example of how some of the older ship's  A/C  do get stressed. Particularly if some other cabins leave their verandah doors open, hoping to beat the heat.

Indeed, that does make other cabins ventilation system's appear to  "not work". Hal does need to take this into consideration when planning routes on some of their older ships in the equatorial zones.