Issues with Curling and straightener iron on Carnival Celebration

jolyroger

So I've been reading and seeing many reviews about how people are having issues with they're irons not working or barely working on this ship. I guess due to the Wattage  . Anyone have a clue what is suggested to bring, as far as this issue. I really can't rely on a blow dryer. Thanks for any help

It does not have to do with wattage, most curlers and straighteners draw a whole lot less wattage than hair dryers.  The reports I've seen here on CC are about two types of products.  One is Dyson products that use a lot of electronics in their appliances, and these don't seem to be amenable to shipboard circuitry.  The other type are "ceramic" curlers and straighteners, and again, I believe it comes down to the electronics not being compatible with shipboard systems.  Older appliances, with "resistance wire" heating elements tend to work fine.

• Like 3

I feel your pain! I rely on my curling iron. Having been on Mardi Gras with a curling iron that didn’t work, I will now bring two options.  Hate to pack the extra but it’s better than having nothing.  Funny thing- the exact curling iron that DIDN’T work for me worked for another poster (on a different thread about this topic). Good luck!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Momma1980 said:

I feel your pain! I rely on my curling iron. Having been on Mardi Gras with a curling iron that didn’t work, I will now bring two options.  Hate to pack the extra but it’s better than having nothing.  Funny thing- the exact curling iron that DIDN’T work for me worked for another poster (on a different thread about this topic). Good luck!!!

I guess i'm gonna do the same and just bring 2! LOL

19 hours ago, Ireallyneedavacation said:

My sister and I knocked out the power in our cabin on Mardi Gras last year because she was using a blow dryer while I was using the flatiron. We called our room steward, and he got it fixed while we were at dinner….just be aware, one product at a time!

Well, just will be me this time, so i'm hoping and thinking i'll be fine.

• Like 1

We were on one of the early Mardi Gras cruises before there was a lot of info out there about this, so I wasn't aware.  When I plugged in my tourmaline ceramic curling iron, the light came on but it never warmed up at all, so I assumed it had been damaged on the flight to the port and I threw it away (unfortunately I saw all the discussion on this after I got back).

However, I have used my Hot Tools blow dry/curling brush on both Mardi Gras (twice) and Celebration without any issues if that helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1