N607 were back !!!

Whoey

you are all very welcome, when I think of all the info I got from here before going on our cruise. Seems only fair to give information back.

Feel free to ask questions too if anyone likes :)

Hi Whoey,

I fantastic review. I think half the problem with a lot of people is that they expect too much. Not all cruisers are going to be like the "Love Boat" and reviews like yours give us first time cruisers a realistic picture of what it is like. Plus answers to so many basic questions, which I have one of.

We are flying to Sydney from Brisbane for our cruise, but I would like to take a couple of bottles of cordial on board, is there anywhere close to the dock that you noticed we would be able to buy them from? I don't want to bring them down on the flight (weight and breakage problem).

I don't expect you really went looking for a convenience shop before boarding but just wondered if you did notice one??

Thanks,

Val

Along with the Diet Coke Pack we purchased 2 bottles of cottee's cordial in Sydney Chinatown from:

# Supermarket at market City - top of Paddys market

Thai Kee Foodtown Supermarket (02) 9211 3150

Was reasonably priced, like $3.50 for 2 litres of Cottee's cordial, it is the largest supermarket in the Sydney CBD and has most normal supermarket items.

It's about a 25 minute walk from Wharf 8 Terminal (where Pacific Sun leaves from), so maybe a short taxi ride there. Better yet why not catch the Monorail both ways? It's down the back of Darling Harbour near the Entertainment Centre inside Paddys Market Market City shopping centre. You will need a map to figure it out.

If the flight gets you to Sydney and your transfer there to Wharf 8 is early enough, drop your luggage at the loading bay area to the right of the terminal and then walk down to Darling Harbour and catch the Monorail, I think its $4.50 per adult. Nice way to see Darling Harbour too !

I would allow at least 1 hour round trip to do this. Hope that helps :)

There was a small 7/11 type of supermarket about 200 meters walk from Wharf 8 (on the roadside, not the shoreside). I didn't go in but it is probably very expensive and didn't look big enough to stock the items we wanted.

Thanks Whoey and Narelle for info,

All depends on time I guess. we arrive at airport at 12.45 so depends on transfer etc. But I did find the convenience store at King and Kent St, looks nice and close, and I remember the Monorail ride, and Paddy's Market from our last visit to Sydney in 2000.

Thanks no doubt there will be more questions before we go.

Val

PS How many people dressed up for theme nights?

PS How many people dressed up for theme nights?

Most people dressed up mainly for Island night and the formal nights.

On Island night almost everyone made some effort to dress up. If you don't have anything to wear for Island night you can buy island shirts, dresses,flower leis etc from Port Vila,some people even bought grass skirts and cocunut bras to wear.

A lot of people got dressed up for the formal nights-Ladies wore either long dresses or cocktail dresses or a skirt and top. Men wore long pants, shirt and tie.Some men didn't wear a tie, and some men wore a suit.

Country/western/pj night- some people dressed up.

I think we had superhero night aswell but I didn't notice anyone dressed up for it.

I think we had superhero night aswell but I didn't notice anyone dressed up for it.

We had a superhero night on our Pacific Sun cruise in June and it was probably the night with the least passenger participation, and the night with the most dodgy menu (style wise) - they took meals and gave them "super hero" names that bore no relation to the foods. The meals were still lovely - just very stupidly named.

They sold outfits in the boutique, at hideously expensive prices.

We are flying to Sydney from Brisbane for our cruise, but I would like to take a couple of bottles of cordial on board, is there anywhere close to the dock that you noticed we would be able to buy them from? I don't want to bring them down on the flight (weight and breakage problem).

I don't expect you really went looking for a convenience shop before boarding but just wondered if you did notice one??

Thanks,

Val

There are convenience stores everywhere. Near Town Hall & at Wynyard Station there are supermarkets. Woolies & Coles.

Val

If you get stuck Val thinking you won't have enough time etc, let me know & maybe I could get it for you. Living in Sydney, we don't have a weight limit.

Karen

Great review Whoey

Just a couple of things on Noumea for people who might be going there.

I agree that the city itself is not the best. However if you don't mind using local transport there are a couple of interesting things to do.

It's about a 5 to 10 minute walk to the bus depot along the warf. One time my wife and I caught a bus to Tjibaou Cultural center. A fascinating place. Another time, once again on a local bus we went to the Botanical Gardens. Maybe these aren't to everyones taste, but to me it was better than walking the streets of Noumea being gawked at by the locals.

Just as an aside. If catching local transport it pays to have some small change in local currency. From memory they will accept Australian currency. Just dont expect any change.

Btw I've only just discovered this site and think it's great :)

Girl05,

Yes we will book again but probably for a cruise a few years down the track. We are building a new house at the moment and funds will be short for 1 - 2 years (doh).

So what did you think of the cruise? What were the highlights for you ?

Archived