Encore 7 day 3/12/23 Review

jake81

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review on any page!"

jake81 was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Cruised on the Encore with wife and 2 daughters (11 and 14)  got a Balcony Room on 14 for the wife and I and an Inside Room for the Girls right across the hall 

Initial fare around $3k for the balcony room and $2K for the inside room

Prior Cruises  2 Disney 2014, 2015 followed by 1 NCL (Escape) 2016

Boat was very nice, incredible finishes everywhere and looked brand new.  

Incredibly crowded almost everywhere,  bumping into people at the breakfast buffet,  nearly impossible to fine a chair on the pool deck long time to get a drink at the pool bars etc.   Dining  reservations were hit and miss

Coffee was average to below average quality and why dont they put some coffee out at each floor by the elevators?  

Food quality was good to great -  buffet and free dining options were adequate- Cagney's, Ocean Blue, Los Lobos and Food Republic were all tried by at least a pair of us and were excellent.

Ports

were were rerouted from GSC to Nassau either due to "Tinder Maint." or high winds depending on who you asked.  Little Disappointing but we had a good beach day at Blue Lagoon,  requires a 30 min boat ride and some cost but not a big deal

St Thomas-  Private taxi to Magens Bay,  very nice beach but again very crowded

Tortola -   only walked around the shops,  not much there less than an hour off the boat mostly used as a sea day

Puerto Plata (Taino Bay) -  Incredible Nice Cruise Port,  by far the best I have seen as far as the immediate "Port area" is concerned.  Very nice large resort style pool with multiple bars and shops all brand new.  Anyone looking for an easy port day plan it here (unless you want to Zip Line)  you can walk to the pool / resort area and its all free including pool cabanas (except drinks)  14 year old and I did the "Zip and Dip" Tour and it was very nice

Sea Days we mostly hung out on the pool deck if we could find a spot , or rested in the room. , girls and I did the slides. wife used the spa quite a bit -for Lunch generally just a snack at the buffet and only went below deck 14 for dinner

Overall Pros

Quality and design of the Boat

Food Quality

Ports

Love using the Balcony

Cons

Crowded Pool Deck

Nickle and Dime aspect for some items

Crowded Bars / wait for drink

Long line to get off at ports

Crowded breakfast buffet 

Not sure if this is right place to ask this,  but based on my views above would anyone recommend another line such as MSC or Celebrity next time?  I would not mind paying a little more( but not Haven Prices).  I'm also not crazy about being locked into a 6:30 or 8:00 diner time all week,  Id rather take my chances with a reservation each day I choose based on that days schedule

Thanks and Im happy to answer any questions or expand more

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, jake81 said:

didn't go all the way to the Caribbean to sit inside and look out a window.

Why not?  You have air conditioning, regular bar service and zero added risk of skin cancer.  It also sounds like you would have had a lot of peace and quiet.  You just described my ideal vacation, and it's great no matter what I'm seeing out the window.  After you get a few more cruises under your belt, you may better understand my position. 😎

• Like 1

"we mostly hung out on the pool deck, though difficult to find a spot , or rested in the room"

ok got it,  my quote edited for clarity is above

If We wanted to be up in the Sun we did so,  if no spot available I would try to sit at the bar, or in the pool, or look around again,  then repeat until tired or a spot was found,  but didn't really camp out in the same chair all day.  Once tired of the sun deck I was ready for the privacy and comfort of my room, as nice as the 15 was I prefer to hang up by or in the pool or rest in the room

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LloydJr said:

After you get a few more cruises under your belt, you may better understand my position. 😎

I'm glad you enjoy it,  its a beautiful  room  I enjoyed passing though just not my thing to spend much time there

I wish more cruisers did take your position as I may get some elbow room up top.  Sadly they do not

• Like 1

Just now, jake81 said:

I'm glad you enjoy it,  its a beautiful  room  I enjoyed passing though just not my thing to spend much time there

I wish more cruisers did take your position as I may get some elbow room up top.  Sadly they do not

I refuse to sail on any ship without an observation lounge.  I don't care where I'm sailing.  Excess sun exposure is (literally) a killer for many.  That, and sitting on the pool deck with all the noise and commotion can drive a sane person crazy.  That's not what I want on vacation.  To your point, I'm glad that I'm apparently in the minority because it yields a very nice/peaceful observation lounge.

• Like 1

Each to their own. My partner calls these lounges the “wasted space” and I couldn’t agree more. Especially on a ship where it’s otherwise a complete nightmare to even find a deck chair by the pool.

But of course it’s great for anyone who likes to enjoy the Caribbean in “air conditioned comfort”. Each to their own!

And that's what makes cruising great.  Everyone can do what they want.  Even within the same family you have different personalities.  Some may be sun worshipers who love the noise and energy of the pool deck, others may like the tranquility of the spa, and others may enjoy a cool air conditioned space to relax and watch the world go by.

A cruise ship manages to meet the needs of all different types of passengers.  

• Like 3

On 3/20/2023 at 7:48 PM, LloydJr said:

I refuse to sail on any ship without an observation lounge.  I don't care where I'm sailing.  Excess sun exposure is (literally) a killer for many.  That, and sitting on the pool deck with all the noise and commotion can drive a sane person crazy.  That's not what I want on vacation.  To your point, I'm glad that I'm apparently in the minority because it yields a very nice/peaceful observation lounge.

I agree, the Observation Lounge on the Joy was great although it did get a bit crowded at times making it hard to find a seat mid day. But if you waited one usually became available. Weather outside wasnt the greatest so that could be why.  But with bathrooms nearby, a bar and food, it was very comfortable.