Live from the MSC Virtuosa 4/7

Lena11033

Thanks for sharing.  I'll definitely travel light, carry-on suitcase.  It won't be easy since I'm cruising to Iceland where the weather could be dicey from what I've seen.  I'm planning to stuff my heavy ski jacket into a pillowcase and use it as a pillow on the plane.

18 minutes ago, ConnieTact said:

Not long now then! All very exciting! Did you travel with hand luggage and a big case or less than that? I used to take big cases but now we get the train, I have learned to pack in a small suitcase that is acceptable as a cabin bag. 

I travelled with one suitcase, one small carry one case and a bag. The bag is like a backpack but has my camera, medication and important docs in there. I brought a regular suitcase because I’m travelling for two weeks and my airline from Canada allows me two free bags (I had business class) but I can’t carry that much. I normally use the smaller bag for about a weeks worth of clothes and then put thing like extra clothes/shoes and larger liquids I can’t take on the plane into the suitcase but mainly it’s used for bringing things back to Canada. Not going to lie it is a little heavy from primark but as I have 2 bags at 100lbs I think one bag at maybe 60lbs is better (it’s not that much yet)

honestly between the clothes and harry potter items I bought I am not adding much more other than some food items and maybe alcohol 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, treesah said:

Thanks for sharing.  I'll definitely travel light, carry-on suitcase.  It won't be easy since I'm cruising to Iceland where the weather could be dicey from what I've seen.  I'm planning to stuff my heavy ski jacket into a pillowcase and use it as a pillow on the plane.

I think that’s why my suitcase feels a little worse is because I had to bring a fleece and ended up buying jogging pants and sweat shirt because I was cold. Now it’s warmer. My husband has already informed me the day I arrive back in Canada it’s going to be 20C - when I left it was 4C last week 😆

• Like 1

Had my free drink from the hotel plus another (would do more but $17 a drink is steep). Ordered food in so I can just chill in the room as I didn’t sleep well last night. I knew there was an event in the hotel yesterday as I could hear it from my room so may have added to lack of sleep. Hopefully tonight is better and then tomorrow is embarkation day 😁

9C93CEA8-FA11-4B75-84EE-DA3C11900BE1.jpeg

BD940A05-9C5D-4F08-97C6-19E997983C44.jpeg

546989DC-F469-4B20-ACFA-FF419018D5C6.jpeg

1. Would you please tell us how MSC does their Muster Drill?

2. What time do they do it after boarding? 

3. Is everyone involved at a specific time or can you just go to your muster station after you board and check in and that is it?

Thanks! Have a great cruise!

9 minutes ago, bandect said:

1. Would you please tell us how MSC does their Muster Drill?

2. What time do they do it after boarding? 

3. Is everyone involved at a specific time or can you just go to your muster station after you board and check in and that is it?

Thanks! Have a great cruise!

So many ports have people getting on & off that it is done each time. Mostly, it’s around 4.30 and you have to go to your room & watch a safety video. Then, you use your phone in room to call and confirm you watched it. Next, you are told to go to your muster station to swipe your card.

There is no bar or elevator service during this time. 

• Like 2

Ok so my boarding time was 2pm but I checked out the hotel at 10:20 and called an Uber. I was at the port within minutes, one thing to note is the app say city cruise port but based on another site I went to Horizon which was the correct one.

As soon as I got there could see the YC tent and they took my luggage and had someone walk me through security which took a whole 1 minute. They did a check of my passport before scanning my bag.  Then they took me upstairs where they checked my ticket (not the time just I had a ticket for today) and my passport and I grabbed a Prosecco also note even though they tell you to fill out the health questionnaire it has not been asked once for it.  
After which myself and another couple boarded, the person showing us in was very quiet so couldn’t hear exactly what he was saying. They took us to another lounge where we received another drink and had others come by to check if we needed help connecting to the internet but had already figured it out. More people came by to check on drinks which I declined or I’d be hammered by dinner. 
We had another lady come by to explain what was included such as access to the thermal spa, how it worked for shows etc. then was shown to my room. I unpacked my bag I had with me (camera, passport, medications etc) and headed out to book my carousel lounge reservation and spa session before I headed to lunch. 

For lunch I had the cuttlefish starter, sea bass for main and the peach Melba for desert (they didn’t have peach on hand so asked if I was ok with pear which I prefer anyway). After which I went to concierge again as I forgot about the credit card. Everyone has been saying you need to load money or assign a credit card but when I went to do it I had my credit card there 🤷‍♀️

I don’t know if people who didn’t have a card there did it on the website but I did it on the app. 

Since then I’ve been wandering around getting to know the ship and hit up the starship bar. It’s in the name of research my husband wanted me to try it and he wanted the glass 😆

493350AA-D839-48A7-A21E-FBA094EF8589.jpeg

5D0A555B-E3CF-47AE-8BAD-C5963984D120.jpeg

DCB6C8E2-F132-4AF9-802F-C6EA3F9CE080.jpeg

6CD25637-756B-40BA-A269-D91B3E709A86.jpeg

EBE35EBE-3383-42CE-93C1-97A33D648E84.jpeg

8C715C51-8662-4F3D-9F66-177BB3FA0E17.jpeg

DEA6E73B-D55F-49EA-8EB2-A1A10937251F.jpeg

43753529-2F55-4F2D-A6DE-A9AB08048F16.jpeg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

Ok so my boarding time was 2pm but I checked out the hotel at 10:20 and called an Uber. I was at the port within minutes, one thing to note is the app say city cruise port but based on another site I went to Horizon which was the correct one.

As soon as I got there could see the YC tent and they took my luggage and had someone walk me through security which took a whole 1 minute. They did a check of my passport before scanning my bag.  Then they took me upstairs where they checked my ticket (not the time just I had a ticket for today) and my passport and I grabbed a Prosecco also note even though they tell you to fill out the health questionnaire it has not been asked once for it.  
After which myself and another couple boarded, the person showing us in was very quiet so couldn’t hear exactly what he was saying. They took us to another lounge where we received another drink and had others come by to check if we needed help connecting to the internet but had already figured it out. More people came by to check on drinks which I declined or I’d be hammered by dinner. 
We had another lady come by to explain what was included such as access to the thermal spa, how it worked for shows etc. then was shown to my room. I unpacked my bag I had with me (camera, passport, medications etc) and headed out to book my carousel lounge reservation and spa session before I headed to lunch. 

For lunch I had the cuttlefish starter, sea bass for main and the peach Melba for desert (they didn’t have peach on hand so asked if I was ok with pear which I prefer anyway). After which I went to concierge again as I forgot about the credit card. Everyone has been saying you need to load money or assign a credit card but when I went to do it I had my credit card there 🤷‍♀️

I don’t know if people who didn’t have a card there did it on the website but I did it on the app. 

Since then I’ve been wandering around getting to know the ship and hit up the starship bar. It’s in the name of research my husband wanted me to try it and he wanted the glass 😆

493350AA-D839-48A7-A21E-FBA094EF8589.jpeg

5D0A555B-E3CF-47AE-8BAD-C5963984D120.jpeg

DCB6C8E2-F132-4AF9-802F-C6EA3F9CE080.jpeg

6CD25637-756B-40BA-A269-D91B3E709A86.jpeg

EBE35EBE-3383-42CE-93C1-97A33D648E84.jpeg

8C715C51-8662-4F3D-9F66-177BB3FA0E17.jpeg

DEA6E73B-D55F-49EA-8EB2-A1A10937251F.jpeg

43753529-2F55-4F2D-A6DE-A9AB08048F16.jpeg

So glad you got on so easily and quickly and seem to be settling in so well! Bon Voyage! We will be following along. 

• Like 1

Catching up with yesterday. The rest of my luggage arrived in the afternoon. 

In the afternoon I went to the lounge for an aperol spritz and afternoon tea snacks. I will say the deserts I had were good. At 4:30 I did the mandatory safety briefing. As mentioned you have to watch the video on the tv, call to confirm you’ve watched it then go to an assembly station. It seemed a bit chaotic everyone doing it at the same time because after I went to my station it was packed outside and I didn’t want to be a sardine in the lift so ended up walking from level 6 to level 18. There’s my cardio for the day. 

I went to dinner for 6 as I had booked the first showing of Arkymea as I had been up since 3am. For dinner I had the escargot which I’m going to say I was not impressed with. It lacked some seasoning and was chewy so won’t get that again. The risotto was excellent and then I had a crepe Suzette which was also good.   

The production show I paid $15CA which included a drink and the show was excellent and worth the money so I’d totally do it again. 

After the show I headed back to my cabin as I was exhausted on my way back I finally met my butler (8:30pm). 
Some of the things he went over by this point if figured out myself (layout and buttons in room). Other things which seems to be the same as other lines even though I was sent a preference sheet before hand for the pillow and alcohol none of it was there. He asked what alcohol I wanted and what coffee, the pillow I forgot but not a big deal I slept fine last night. 
He also went over the mini fridge and that was it.  By the time he left it was close to 9pm so I just started winding down for the evening and spoke to my husband. Also had to remember to set the alarm so I wouldn’t over sleep especially as the clocks were going forward an hour. 

87CF9359-49CF-4AA1-B3CC-4C79033C9BEB.jpeg

2F265403-1025-4247-86E4-387295811370.jpeg

0DE0F70C-5582-4AEF-AE69-D4DB6FCB405C.jpeg

BE69D12B-DFB0-47C6-8179-E039C026DE6A.jpeg

5A8FB063-8F84-4104-A06D-2E490B209BE9.jpeg

8302BB28-E2F6-4C9E-B68B-0C92386815F5.jpeg

I think it was a little hard to tell how busy. There were lots of people outside but some were leaving and some boarding. It didn’t look too bad though. When I boarded and was walking through the galleria the busiest area was the kids club sign up🤣

Sounds right. Already heard yesterday most likely not going to France just no idea what the plan actually is. I’m figuring they would probably tell us the day before once things are finalized. At this point probably good to take the stop off for a few more weeks as it seems it is never stopping there. 

2 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

Interesting we are supposed to be in Rotterdam on the 12th. 

When we were on in March they had to divert, went to Amsterdam after Rotterdam as no where else suitable, resulted in delay back to Southampton(ended up at 11:45).

Of those that boarded in Rotterdam some had just driven from Amsterdam, not happy.

Some of those that came to Amsterdam from France missed the ship and got flown to Southampton.

The next week they returned to Zeebrugge having been there before Rotterdam.

Once on you just go with the flow but keep an eye on the schedules for return Southampton.
For us it may effect boarding plans if ship is late.

1 hour ago, insidecabin said:

When we were on in March they had to divert, went to Amsterdam after Rotterdam as no where else suitable, resulted in delay back to Southampton(ended up at 11:45).

Of those that boarded in Rotterdam some had just driven from Amsterdam, not happy.

Some of those that came to Amsterdam from France missed the ship and got flown to Southampton.

The next week they returned to Zeebrugge having been there before Rotterdam.

Once on you just go with the flow but keep an eye on the schedules for return Southampton.
For us it may effect boarding plans if ship is late.

Ouch that sucks for people

so someone I was talking to earlier said it was announced we weren’t going to France but they were still waiting to confirm where we are going. They said it wasn’t a major announcement but posted on a wall 🤷‍♀️

So yeah not sure what that means but will keep an eye out. But yeah anyone getting on or off there it’s maybe not going to be great. I guess if Amsterdam they are flying them back. 

I’m glad I didn’t buy a train ticket for Southampton. Just going to impact how much shopping I do in London (I mean it’s not like these things I need they just looked nice and some I can buy online). More of an impact for people boarding. 

Review of yesterday. 
I woke up with the plan to walk on deck before breakfast but way to cold so opted for treadmill in the gym. I had to go by how I felt because even though I’m Canada speed is in km my treadmill is in mph so I don’t know the conversation - next time I’m googling before going on

After my walk I headed to breakfast where I had the French toast which was really good. I spent the morning in the virtuosa lounge watching the activities for the day. I will say it was a little hard getting drinks here. But I didn’t see many wait staff either which could be the issue. 

I had a lunch reservation for Hola Tacos. When I got there I had to track down the maître’d to sit and then wait another 15 mins before they took my drink order. The tacos were good just the waiting not so much. After 1pm the service sped up so not sure if they could manage the people but it wasn’t full either. 

After lunch decided to do some laps on the deck again, still cold but this time had a fleece but still only managed a few laps before retreating to the lounge for a warm up drink. Next I went for a walk about inside looking at the shops before attempting to go for one of the other activities in the virtuosa lounge but it was packed so no seats and no chance or a drink I headed to the champagne bar for a few drinks. The service here was excellent.  

Dinner I spent in the YC area and had the mascarpone flan which was really good, the lamb rack also really good and the tarte tatin which was ok but not what I’d expect for the tarte  (guy next table to mine from France confirmed that wasn’t what it should be like it should have been caramalized). I spent so long chatting with the guy on the table next to mine I missed the events I planned on going to in the evening which is ok. I’m just going with the flow. 

After I went for another walk about before going back to my room and calling my husband. Night before I didn’t do a video call this time I did it was pixelated but could do it. Even with the fastest internet at sea, you are still at sea it’s not going to be perfect. 

1A77167D-3AEE-4379-9342-CF20508A7DF0.jpeg

841E711D-CF49-45C3-B3E7-664AD1E8FF6A.jpeg

658016CC-D20B-4375-A8A9-9AC79F634869.jpeg

1AE0BFF1-6360-4CC0-BE0A-93C4A58A3D6E.jpeg

53AD1D65-B0F8-4701-A068-E057B1F133C8.jpeg

4816B940-6F65-4B8F-8097-7B169E07F8B8.jpeg

0DC742A0-2C4E-4FCC-9E70-A3EE0F5C51F3.jpeg

88962405-649A-4469-9261-FE5247910DCB.jpeg

• Like 1

Someone somewhere said if you try a VPN the internet access may be better.

The lamb in YC is good, almost a smaller version of the one you get in butchers cut. which has 8 bones(4x2).

We quite like it slow in HOLA that way we can do everything on the menu in the 2hr they are open for lunch.

One thing we learnt during lockdowns when places were slow was never wait till your drink is finished before ordering the next one, sometimes it was order again when the person brings a drink or order 2 if they would work that way.

If you miss a meal in YC and go to the buffet  we found if you sit on the high tops by the bar you have every server go past and the bar staff can see you  no problems getting a drink,  also a great people watch if you face the entrance.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips. I just tried the vpn trick and it’s for sure loading pages quicker will see what it’s like for calls later. Husband should be asleep right now as it’s 4am for him although he did message me two hours ago 😆

It’s great you’re going to Amsterdam instead of Rotterdam twice as we did! I always love Amsterdam and don’t tire of it. The ship docks close enough to just walk in so that’s great.

When we’re sailing YC we don’t go to the ordinary buffet at all, as we like the sun deck offerings and the lack of people! 
Enjoy Rotterdam! Are you going on an excursion?

On 4/10/2023 at 12:36 AM, ConnieTact said:

It’s great you’re going to Amsterdam instead of Rotterdam twice as we did! I always love Amsterdam and don’t tire of it. The ship docks close enough to just walk in so that’s great.

When we’re sailing YC we don’t go to the ordinary buffet at all, as we like the sun deck offerings and the lack of people! 
Enjoy Rotterdam! Are you going on an excursion?

they still haven’t announced anything at least not from what I’ve seen. But yeah I would prefer Amsterdam too as I’ve never been. I have an excursion for Rotterdam that is to take me to Amsterdam and then after that I can do my own thing. 

I haven’t been to the buffet at all. Just the Hola Tacos once and that’s been it everything else I’ve stayed in the YC for.