JFK to Brooklyn Red Hook ADA transportation options?

SiliconCruiser

We'll be going on  b2b NY-Quebec cruises later this year and looking for transportation options from JFK to Brooklyn.

My wife is in a wheelchair and we'll probably have two Pullman suitcases and a 22" carry-on and a backpack.  I'm thinking that the complexity of moving the luggage around is going to rule out the use of public transit.  Would appreciate any suggestions. 

20 minutes ago, SiliconCruiser said:

We'll be going on  b2b NY-Quebec cruises later this year and looking for transportation options from JFK to Brooklyn.

My wife is in a wheelchair and we'll probably have two Pullman suitcases and a 22" carry-on and a backpack.  I'm thinking that the complexity of moving the luggage around is going to rule out the use of public transit.  Would appreciate any suggestions. 

The New York City Taxi & Limousine Commission has an accessible taxi dispatch program, as explained on its website: https://www.nyc.gov/site/tlc/about/accessible-dispatch.page .

Car services such as Dial 7 and Carmel Limo also  offer accessible vehicles https://dial7.com/  https://www.carmellimo.com/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SiliconCruiser said:

My wife is in a wheelchair and we'll probably have two Pullman suitcases and a 22" carry-on and a backpack. I'm thinking that the complexity of moving the luggage around is going to rule out the use of public transit.

Ordinarily, a wheelchair user eligible for paratransit service could use Access-A-Ride paratransit service for door-to-door service, from John F. Kennedy International Airport to Brooklyn, by wheelchair accessible vehicle, for the wheelchair user, and a personal care attendant, and a guest, and baggage, at a fare of $2.75 for each of the wheelchair user and guest (the personal care attendant travels for free). This is effectively a shared taxi service. However, the rule for baggage is: "Customers must * * * board AAR vehicles with only two bags or parcels totaling 40 lbs. or less. A very bulky item that fills a seat or is a safety hazard is not permitted on an AAR vehicle, even if the item weighs less than 40 lbs. Additional * * * bags/parcels carried by PCA and or guest cannot be accommodated." Because the baggage limit applies collectively to all persons (and not each person separately), your anticipated baggage will be considered excessive, likely making use of public transportation not practicable. That said, the rule is not always strictly enforced, but that laxity is not something you would be able to rely upon. Other cruise line passengers with disabilities, who are paratransit eligible, might consider using Access-A-Ride service if they are not carrying excessive baggage.

1 hour ago, Got2Cruise said:

Does your wife need to stay in her wheelchair in a special van for transportation? Or can she be helped by you into a regular vehicle?

She can be seated in a regular vehicle on her own, but needs help with higher vehicles (trucks, normal height vans, and buses with baggage compartments that have steps.  She is able to walk relatively short distances with crutches.

Have you considered Uber Comfort? Or a mini van for 6 pax but use one row for the folded wheelchair? 

Also request wheelchair assistance from airlines. The wheelchair helper is supposed to wait with pax until they are in the cab. Of course give a generous tip. My Mom uses this assistance and it’s a godsend.  

21 minutes ago, GTJ said:

Ordinarily, a wheelchair user eligible for paratransit service could use Access-A-Ride paratransit service for door-to-door service, from John F. Kennedy International Airport to Brooklyn, by wheelchair accessible vehicle, for the wheelchair user, and a personal care attendant, and a guest, and baggage, at a fare of $2.75 for each of the wheelchair user and guest (the personal care attendant travels for free). This is effectively a shared taxi service. However, the rule for baggage is: "Customers must * * * board AAR vehicles with only two bags or parcels totaling 40 lbs. or less. A very bulky item that fills a seat or is a safety hazard is not permitted on an AAR vehicle, even if the item weighs less than 40 lbs. Additional * * * bags/parcels carried by PCA and or guest cannot be accommodated." Because the baggage limit applies collectively to all persons (and not each person separately), your anticipated baggage will be considered excessive, likely making use of public transportation not practicable. That said, the rule is not always strictly enforced, but that laxity is not something you would be able to rely upon. Other cruise line passengers with disabilities, who are paratransit eligible, might consider using Access-A-Ride service if they are not carrying excessive baggage.

Thanks, it sounds very much like our paratransit service locally.  I even drove it for a couple of years during the Great Recession, when tech jobs were slow.  I see that they have a visitor option for application.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

Have you considered Uber Comfort? Or a mini van for 6 pax but use one row for the folded wheelchair? 

Also request wheelchair assistance from airlines. The wheelchair helper is supposed to wait with pax until they are in the cab. Of course give a generous tip. My Mom uses this assistance and it’s a godsend.

That was one of my original considerations (actually Lyft XL,) however @GTJ's suggestion regarding Access-A-Ride bears investigation; we have a similar program here.  Especially when their visitor program appears to be easily available. 

1 hour ago, SiliconCruiser said:

I see that they have a visitor option for application.

Yes, if already certified for VTA ACCESS, then NYCTA can get you set up in advance, as a visitor, without having to go through the normal steps for local certification here.

7 minutes ago, GTJ said:

Yes, if already certified for VTA ACCESS, then NYCTA can get you set up in advance, as a visitor, without having to go through the normal steps for local certification here.

Thanks I saw that in their visitor option.  It's just a matter of providing them with a local address and phone number (I guess I'll use the Brooklyn dock and the local Princess number.)  Of course they'll have our cell phone numbers as well.

17 hours ago, SiliconCruiser said:

That was one of my original considerations (actually Lyft XL,) however @GTJ's suggestion regarding Access-A-Ride bears investigation; we have a similar program here.  Especially when their visitor program appears to be easily available. 

Worth checking into. But just going to warn you that my Mom is 88 and has the Access-A-Ride approval, she lives in Queens. She never uses it because there is often very long wait times, and she doesn’t like to wait. Lol 

https://new.mta.info/accessibility/access-a-ride

Access-A-Ride phone directory

Call 877-337-2017 toll-free from area codes in the NY metro area and adjacent counties. From other area codes, call 718-393-4999. Customers who are deaf/hard of hearing can use their preferred relay service or the free 711 relay service.