New legal language from Celebrity?

chamima

1 hour ago, arealcheapskate said:

I'm sorry to hear that, it's generally income that they look for and not assets -- it's a pretty common thing unfortunately here in Oz. They generally don't look kindly on retired folks it's not really fair. 

What I've always suggested is to get your credit cards while employed and then just keep them into retirement.

Amex is pretty flexible though and cater to high net worth folks, might be worth looking into especially if you travel a lot. We get every dollar back and then some -- despite the high annual fee. 

As far as getting asked for COVID insurance that is so odd, maybe they have stopped doing that. We didn't get asked anything for our upcoming cruise in June on Apex. But then again we only booked a month ago sort of spur of the moment, maybe it's not required any more. But still essential IMO. 

Good suggestion. Just get credit cards that cover Covid! (who would have ever imagined..!!) We do have credit cards, my husband recently retired from running a business so all that is well in place. Just apparently not the best card for covid cover. 

We do have income, from a few sources which were all provided to the financial institution, just not income from paid employment. So retired is the dirty word, I'd say. 🙂 

3 hours ago, arealcheapskate said:

As far as getting asked for COVID insurance that is so odd, maybe they have stopped doing that. We didn't get asked anything for our upcoming cruise in June on Apex. But then again we only booked a month ago sort of spur of the moment, maybe it's not required any more. But still essential IMO. 

After posting here I went back and sifted through the policies and Celebrity website, and got conflicting information. Does Celebrity even know what they're doing!: On one hand there's this:

"You will be required to isolate onboard if you contract, or we suspect that you have contracted, COVID-19. You must have travel insurance which covers your medical care, quarantine and repatriation in the event that you contract COVID-19. We will provide a future cruise credit if you have symptoms of COVID-19 before you sail. We may refund all or part of your cruise fare if you test positive for COVID-19 during the sailing. Governments and public authorities continue to develop their policies and change their rules. Our own processes and procedures change in line with those policies. This means we may need to make changes to your sailing and/or what we require of you before and during your sailing with us."

And also this (we sail in European Union, on 15 May and 24 May):

COVID-19 Assistance*

Book any Celebrity cruise that’s sailing between April 4, 2023 and May 31, 2023, and you’ll have the following reassurance at no extra charge:

100% refund for you, and your Traveling Party, if any of you test positive for COVID-19 within 5 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal.**

Pro-rated cruise fare refund for anyone who has their cruise cut short due to testing positive for COVID-19 or being suspected of having COVID-19 during the cruise.

If the Celebrity cruise you book will sail from the European Union or the United Kingdom between you’ll also have the following reassurance at no extra charge:

If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Celebrity will: cover the cost of COVID-19-related medical treatment onboard; you and your Traveling Party may stay onboard the ship for free to complete any required quarantine; and if you purchased Flights by Celebrity, Celebrity will help coordinate homebound travel arrangements for you and your Traveling Party, but without covering the cost.

4 hours ago, sofmall said:

Good suggestion. Just get credit cards that cover Covid! (who would have ever imagined..!!) We do have credit cards, my husband recently retired from running a business so all that is well in place. Just apparently not the best card for covid cover. 

We do have income, from a few sources which were all provided to the financial institution, just not income from paid employment. So retired is the dirty word, I'd say. 🙂 

I would think your problem is down to you not using your card enough rather than to your income.

The more you use a card the more the Credit Card Company will like you especially if you just pay off the minimum each month.

We aim to put all our spending on our main card which inturn gives us airmiles for our regular flights to Dallas. We settle the bill in full every month by automatic direct payment thereby ensuring that we pay no interest.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, the penguins said:

I would think your problem is down to you not using your card enough rather than to your income

In Australia it can be difficult to obtain a new credit card once you have retired. No matter your level of income or how much you intend to use it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, the penguins said:

I would think your problem is down to you not using your card enough rather than to your income.

The more you use a card the more the Credit Card Company will like you especially if you just pay off the minimum each month.

We aim to put all our spending on our main card which inturn gives us airmiles for our regular flights to Dallas. We settle the bill in full every month by automatic direct payment thereby ensuring that we pay no interest.

No, that's not it. We use our card a great deal, and up until my husband sold his business last year he put a huge amount through on it business-wise too. We also ALWAYS pay it off totally each month. I think it's just a thing with Australian financial institutions, they don't want to give cards to retirees, no matter what. They don't say so, they make you jump through hoops in the application and then don't even give a reason for refusing. As I said earlier, we have a few friends who it turns out experienced the same thing. 

6 hours ago, sofmall said:

No, that's not it. We use our card a great deal, and up until my husband sold his business last year he put a huge amount through on it business-wise too. We also ALWAYS pay it off totally each month. I think it's just a thing with Australian financial institutions, they don't want to give cards to retirees, no matter what. They don't say so, they make you jump through hoops in the application and then don't even give a reason for refusing. As I said earlier, we have a few friends who it turns out experienced the same thing. 

Sorry - two other suggestions:

1) raise the matter through TV Consumer programmes ( e.g. Watchdog, Money Saving Expert or Rip of Britain in the UK) it's amazing what happens when Companies are exposed to unwelcome publicity.

2) move to the UK 😀😂😂😂😂😂😂

7 hours ago, the penguins said:

Sorry - two other suggestions:

1) raise the matter through TV Consumer programmes ( e.g. Watchdog, Money Saving Expert or Rip of Britain in the UK) it's amazing what happens when Companies are exposed to unwelcome publicity.

2) move to the UK 😀😂😂😂😂😂😂

No. 2 wouldn't be the worst idea, but we do love the beach and warm weather.

No. 1 ... good suggestion but we leave on our month-long trip in 8 days so I think we'll let it slide. 

4 hours ago, sofmall said:

No. 2 wouldn't be the worst idea, but we do love the beach and warm weather.

No. 1 ... good suggestion but we leave on our month-long trip in 8 days so I think we'll let it slide. 

Have a great trip. 

• Like 1