Live(ish) from the MSC Virtuosa 14/04/2023

insidecabin

Yesterday was the sea day on the way to Hamburg.

Late start after that late night not feeling that great also 1hr forward on the clock.

Buffet was rammed think everyone on the ship was running late, got a space on our favourite spot the high tops at the bar.

(Picture today 11am empty)

IMG_20230416_111325.thumb.jpg.6ff5c57b581033cbbe8c0570447ffe95.jpg

Meat cheese salmon could not face a full English.

We don't do much on some days often hang out on that high top with a beer. relaxed refund to cabin for a cleanup till lunch, back to the buffet, found some very good pork ribs.

Post lunch we decided to hang out at sky lounge, grabbed a couple of mules and water got chatting to a lovely family from Israel.

Lounge was busy but seats available if you shared.

We got a surprise our regular Masters server from our Oct cruise was back from vacation and in the sky lounge, that Oct cruise was busy our lady looked after us making sure we were always topped up.

Once again always checking we were ok as she passed.

Before we knew it it was 5pm time to get sorted for dinner, we are going to stick with 5:30 to see if we get used to it.

Our table for 8 we had to ourselves 1st night now has 4 as the MSC dining shuffle happens.

Good banter but not that hungry so stuck to the seafood cocktail, risotto and a cherry thing.

The evening do something different was champagne bar, not big on the stuff but it's cool and fizzy like some beers

IMG_20230415_192911.thumb.jpg.24eb89c8891ae6f56f9a5edda2b09816.jpg

The place was very quiet one view of empty seats

IMG_20230415_205717.thumb.jpg.cb6caa055b3789fc7d9de50242dd6227.jpg

They were well on top of service OH had 2 of the raspberry jobs I was on Lanson forget how many they go down quick.

We hung out here as you can still hear the entertainment in Infinity 2 decks below, they rotated the artists so a good variety and up here you can still talk.

Also infinity feels quite enclosed with little seating and the guest services line which is always busy whenever we pass that area.

We have never stopped here for long and I can see the appeal for those that like bubbles.

10:30pm head to masters, need a real beer.

Again really quiet pop out to Galleria party even more floor visible tonight.

Just the one beer and bed 12:15.

Some excellent reads on this thread !

Was on Virtuosa in Jan., & now doing 'back-to-back' (OK the 2nd one's just 3 nts. !) in the latter half of May.

Comments (mostly positive) tie in with my feelings about the line - gorgeous ships, hugely competitive prices (next 4 on V'osa & Euribia are with Premium drinks...at maybe 60% of what the equivalent would cost elsewhere), & it's a real rarity to feel that the service, & what's being provided, is not quite what it might be.

Do hope if you're reading this & other threads, & haven't been entirely convinced, we're doing a fair job of converting you !

Back in data land docked Zeebrugge.

Hamburg on a Sunday when most things are closes we decided to stay on board.

It's the Germans changeover day so loads in coats with hand luggage at buffet.

As many know MSC does not rush you off the ship many still about midday.

More got off than on and what was a quiet ship is even quieter now.

Uneventful day till we left at 9pm

Moved out of the berth to the turn around area, completed the manoeuvre when the announcement at 9:30 we were going back to the dock as there was a medical situation.

10:15 back at berth reversed in.

Ship eventually left at 3:40am.

They still got to Zeebrugge at 7am when I checked 19.6knt 

Sea day was another lazy day until around 4pm when felt really tired and not so good.

I won't elaborate but in bed till 10am.

Still not great but feel ok to be out and about.

Let's fill this with some cabin information.

We nearly always do inside Bella, compact functional cabins for the most part you are not in much.

Biggest Downside is lack of storage with just one small wardrobe,  ok for a week.

This time we were put in a 4 berth which has totally concealed ceiling Pullman's and a second wardrobe it takes a bit of space but not so much the cabin is no longer functional. 

His and hers so much better and easy to keep the cabin tidy.

Will check if we can book these with Fantastica they are worth some extra need to decide how much.

Location  deck 11 aft not far from the crew stairs.

Really quiet no ship noise and this trip  don't feel any movement.

There has been little adjoining cabin noise, this morning there was a bit from above I think cabin steward working.

Our previous one was a 2 berth deck 13 forward really handy location we prefer it as we tend to end up in masters, if an Attic person then aft would be closer

Given the low capacity I am thinking MSC will do competitive rates but not fire sale silly rates to fill a ship, the cruise is the adjustment between 2 busy Easter trips and the series of booze cruises, a bit of down time for the crew.

Not being well resulted in a very lazy day on a near empty ship.

Weather was not great so did not miss getting off 4th time here in 6 months.

Don't feel like eating or drinking resulting in first no alcohol day.

Had a very light dinner (soup & fruit) then we made the 7pm show a Cher tribute.

Pretty good, Rachael Hawnt from a UK TV show starstuck.

A common trend to give these TV talent show entrants ship contracts.

Show spoiled by a chap throwing up all over a chair and floor nearby, last song so we moved out quick.

The evening entertainment schedule has changed a bit you have to check who is on where, not like MSC as they tend to have a  fairly ridged program of what's on where, need to analyse the dailies to compare.

Today is Cherbourg, supposed to be sunny(not yet) and around 12c, all aboard 7:30pm so plenty of time to decide if we get off for a couple of hours.

Late yesterday around 5pm they announced LeHarve closed again back to Zeebrugge.

The entertainment changes were Dario left in Hamburg, the new(Feb) lady Giulia who has been playing around the ship and will continue to do so has taken over the Masters spot.

We do enjoy her style and song selections

Definitely settled in well since the early days beginning of march.

IMG_20230420_132509.thumb.jpg.b4594bdb72f3086e039e94156a659f1f.jpg

Still not good so laying low most of the time.

Confirmed currency change starts tonight, last time there were a lot of people late in closing their accounts so the new embarking passengers were delayed

New prices tomorrow will see if I can find some before we get off.

So you are not able to dock in Le Havre today (Thursday) due to French port workers striking again? Has there been any mention of any Le Havre passengers who need to disembark or embark? And also any word of possible delayed return to Southampton tomorrow? Thank you for any info 🙂 Hope you feel better soon, sorry you are feeling under the weather. I hope my family members on your cruise don't come back sick. 

17 hours ago, rocklinmom said:

So you are not able to dock in Le Havre today (Thursday) due to French port workers striking again? Has there been any mention of any Le Havre passengers who need to disembark or embark? And also any word of possible delayed return to Southampton tomorrow? Thank you for any info 🙂 Hope you feel better soon, sorry you are feeling under the weather. I hope my family members on your cruise don't come back sick. 

My illness is self inflicted nothing contracted on board also the first cruise we left our medical kit at home.

The have missing LeHarve sorted(at least 4 times now) if they use Zeebrugge they can get to Southampton on time.

Things that could have disruption and delay start of new embarking passengers.

Currency change (still waiting for people to close accounts)

Border force(been going very smooth no lines when I checked only checking those that boarded after Southampton)

Disembark (no lines at 8am for self walk off people no calls yet for bags)

The car park is empty so not many driving end of cruise which is good as the next cruise a mainly UK  may have lots of cars with people getting here early the car park people should be able to cope.

Bigger issue if forecast is rain later this morning.

A previous busy cruise people were standing in line to get out of the carpark (no cover) as the terminal had backed up.

The cruise ended up quite low numbers not expecting to may issues getting off we wait back anyway.

• Thanks 1

Home now, 

The immigration check last call was just 3 cabins.

No call by  bags number, we never got the disembark schedule sheet so no idea what happened.

Maybe numbers were so low they were happy with a free for all.

People were arriving at the carpark around 9:30

Saw people coming on the ship before 10am.

As we left 10:15 no lines in the terminal or security those arriving were straight through.

By the time I got back with the car there was a start of a potential road issue with the port parking cars backing onto the service road.

Picking up the bags and OH I could see a short  line forming at security and it was getting busier outside 

Drove off 10:40, torrential rain on the way with slow traffic added 20mins.

They were still setting up bars only new pricing I got was

IMG_20230421_144728.thumb.jpg.088e0ae6ea658b91ef561e05a18160de.jpg

Crazy when the the real price people pay for premium Extra tends to be in the £15-£35pppd.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2023 at 12:38 PM, insidecabin said:

Late yesterday around 5pm they announced LeHarve closed again back to Zeebrugge.

The entertainment changes were Dario left in Hamburg, the new(Feb) lady Giulia who has been playing around the ship and will continue to do so has taken over the Masters spot.

Good you got to enjoy at least some of Dario this trip. We loved him and look forward to seeing him again on the World Europa in January. 
I enjoyed your live report. Always good to see everything Virtuosa! 😀

Edited by ConnieTact
  • Thanks 1