Biking in Lisbon

We are spending several days in Lisbon prior to embarkation and am wondering if anyone has experience with the GIRA bicycle rental system in Lisbon.  I am thinking this might be a good way to see the Parque Nacoes as well as the Tile Museum and possibly get up to a miradoura or 2.  We are staying in Alfama amd I know that area is not bike friendly, but any info is useful.  Thanks

Just back from 5 nights in Lisbon. Lots of bikes/ electric scooters to hire everywhere. The only place I would ever use them is along the promenade from Cais do Sodré to Belém. This was a popular route. Alfalma as you mentioned,  wouldn’t work. Between cars and tuk-tuks there is little room on the very narrow streets.The traffic in Lisbon is absolutely chaotic. It’s bad enough for pedestrians, never mind cyclists. I think you would need to be used to cycling in major cities to cope with it.
We walked everywhere although I know the tile museum is far out. There is an extensive transport system but you need to give yourself an extra half hour to work out and queue for the ticket machines. We were caught out a couple of times with this. Have a great trip.

• Like 2

Many of the streets in Lisbon are extremely steep, not only the ones which go up to viewpoints.

There are free elevators in Lisbon which can take you part way up to some of them, and tuk tuks are everywhere for short trips, probably more suited to the roads than regular taxis.

We took a bus almost to the entrance of the tile museum.

We found public transport very easy to use, you only need spend some time pre-trip reading how to use it.  Same with the free elevators.  The info is out there.

You say you are staying in the Alfama area, there are two free elevators leading up to that area .

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1