Best Options to get from San Pedro to San Diego after cruise

powderhorn

Good Morning All….we are Paula and Chris and we are looking to book a cruise out of San Pedro on May 11 (Regatta) and to visit our Son and DIL in San Diego….does anyone know if there is a ride share / shuttle / train they can recommend to get us to or from The cruise terminal to San Diego area?….I think our Son will run us up there but looking for options to get back to SD on the 18th….thks in advance….

There is nothing near San Pedro. The easiest Amtrak station to get to is the Anaheim station, called ARTIC (Anaheim Regional Transportation Intermodal Center). It is directly off a freeway, right behind Angel Stadium. I'd cab or Uber there.

I think a shuttle or Uber would be too expensive, but there are shuttles who will do it.

• Thanks 1

Last Fall I had a RT cruise out of SD so I planned to take Amtrak from the Anaheim station there and back. Then the tracks were damaged with all the rain and trains were cancelled.  I looked at all the alternatives (e.g. flying, renting a car, etc.) but decided to take a chance on something called FlixBus.  It was not bad, most other pax were well-behaved college students, paid a little extra for an empty seat next to me (I travel solo), and the drive took exactly 2 hours.  Only problem was that the specific seats I reserved were non-existent but driver allowed me to sit in the (normally empty) 1st row (this happened in both directions so I think the seat assignment process is a myth/not enforced). 

The bus leaves from downtown Long Beach (as well as Anaheim) so easy to get to from San Pedro. 

All in all, I would take Amtrak even with the $$ Uber cost to get to the station but I much prefer the train over the bus

YMMV

• Thanks 1

That's two solid votes for amtrak and my son's sources tell him they are running again....there was a question regarding Anaheim or Fullerton so you have answered that question as well....Anaheim Amtrak it is....we can get the train to Solana Beach and meet the kids in time for lunch somewhere nice.....Thanks Again....

The San Diego newspaper this morning reports that a landslide has closed the tracks near San Clemente and suspended Amtrak service.  Be aware this is happening with some frequency and no notice….

6 minutes ago, LynnSD said:

The San Diego newspaper this morning reports that a landslide has closed the tracks near San Clemente and suspended Amtrak service.  Be aware this is happening with some frequency and no notice….

It usually means they suspend train service and use busses to get around the break. All SD to LA trains are cancelled today, probably because they could not arrange busses that quickly. SAN to LAX tomorrow are still showing a go.

4 hours ago, scottca075 said:

It usually means they suspend train service and use busses to get around the break. All SD to LA trains are cancelled today, probably because they could not arrange busses that quickly. SAN to LAX tomorrow are still showing a go.

It sounded this AM on the local news like it's going to be a long closure!! There are no plans to even meet to decide what to do for 3 weeks.  I was thinking about taking the train up for a 5/20 sailing but I'm going to look for another way to get there. 

• Like 1

Just now, LuAnn said:

I was thinking about taking the train up for a 5/20 sailing but I'm going to look for another way to get there. 

I never recommend the train when you HAVE to be someplace (plane, cruise, etc.) it is simply too unreliable. I've used the train from Santa Fe Depot to my Downtown LA office, but if the train is delayed or cancelled, it is not the end of the world.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, scottca075 said:

I was just on Surfliner sight to see if I could book from Anaheim to Solana Beach and most of May is shaded out......might need to call them....any suggestions for a plan B?

16 minutes ago, powderhorn said:

I was just on Surfliner sight to see if I could book from Anaheim to Solana Beach and most of May is shaded out......might need to call them....any suggestions for a plan B?

Cheapest is a one way car rental, then a shuttle.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, powderhorn said:

ok...Amtrak let me book the train....no big urgency to get back to SAN so hopefully the trains will be running or they will shuttle us down on buses....

• Like 1