Chef’s Table question

lizardcruisemom

So I have seen a few menus for the Chef’s table - lots of seafood.  Can anyone tell me what, if anything, they do about allergies - specifically seafood allergies?  Not shellfish, but all seafood.  The experience sounds awesome, but it looks very limiting if you cannot try most of the dishes.  Do you just skip the whole thing?

It's been years since we've done CT, but the two times we did we were asked about allergies when we inquired about the dinner. They didn't come right out and say it, but the impression I got was that if you had food allergies that would require a change in the menu you would not be "selected" to attend. This could have changed, just our experience. I'm unable to drink wine (sulfite allergy) and was able to attend and just not drink any (no price adjustement, however).

55 minutes ago, CruiserN1 said:

It's been years since we've done CT, but the two times we did we were asked about allergies when we inquired about the dinner. They didn't come right out and say it, but the impression I got was that if you had food allergies that would require a change in the menu you would not be "selected" to attend. This could have changed, just our experience. I'm unable to drink wine (sulfite allergy) and was able to attend and just not drink any (no price adjustment, however).

Not sure what year your CT was, but I have always read and understood there is a non-alcohol option for CT and also comes at a lower price.  Did you ask for that ahead of time?

5 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Not sure what year your CT was, but I have always read and understood there is a non-alcohol option for CT and also comes at a lower price.  Did you ask for that ahead of time?

Yes, I told the maitre'd that I didn't drink wine but he didn't offer to lower the price. We really wanted to do it so we didn't push it because we thought it might affect whether or not we were among the chosen for the dinner.

@lizardcruisemom The accommodation of food allergies for the Chef's Table varies depending on the ship's management (presumably, the Executive Chef).  Over they years I have seen multiple reports where food allergies, such as seafood allergies, have been accommodated.  However, I have also seen reports stating the exact opposite.

I have attended two CT experiences.  For the first one our invitation letter was accompanied by two documents for my wife and I to sign attesting that we had no food allergies.  We turned in the signed waivers to the Maitre d' when we met him to begin our evening.  For our second CT we were not asked anything about allergies.  I do not recall any of the participants getting a special dish for any of the courses, and, so, I assume that nobody made a special request.

Here is my advice to you.  Make your request to attend the CT as soon as you board tour ship.  If you do receive an invitation to attend, contact the restaurant manager whose name will be on the invitation and make an inquiry about accommodating your allergy.  He will provide the ultimate answer that you are seeking.

Please do not just attend assuming that you will be accommodated.  Also, I assume that your allergy is not so severe that you cannot sit next to another guest who is having a seafood dish.  I've known people who are that sensitive.

• Like 1