Help with how to get to Portofino from Santa Margherita quickly after a shore excursion

tusconcam

Hi there. I'm looking for the easiest/best/namely quickest way to get from Santa Margherita (after my shore excursion) to Portofino.

We are back from our excursion to Nice/Eze at 3:30 to hopefully not as late as 4pm at wherever the port terminal?/tendered boats dock. (I imagine in the center of the bay). Help with where this is is appreciated as well .

The ship departs  at 6pm that day  and we want to be back 1 hour before. 

The challenging part to this is that we are tendering in/out as you all would know; so time is a factor.

We realize that IF we can make it to Portofino that we will not have time to do it justice. We realize this; it will be for a quick overview of the bay and marina etc.

Does anyone have any advice/tips/suggestions??

Thank you in advance.

Edited by tusconcam

• 2 weeks later...

So, you are tendering at St M and want to go quickly to Portofino after arriving back to St M around 3:30 and must be on ship at St M by 6, which might mean last tender at 5:30? If so, the only possible way is to hire a taxi to take you and return. It's a lovely (twisty) drive along the coast and not too far via taxi. It could be done in an hour. I know everyone has heard of Portofino. But, consider just enjoying the area near St M, also beautiful. Or go to Hotel Continental on the outskirts of St M and have a drink on the terrace for the amazing view. We actually walked (and a bit of bus) from our cruise stop at Portofino to St M and spent the day there. 

Why taxi:  There are public buses, but they will likely be full at that time of day going back to Portofino, esp. if a ship in in port there. We took the bus and it was standing room only and sometimes the buses pass by if full. Even if you got a bus, it would be too iffy for the return. There is also a ferry, but I would not try it for under 2 hours. 

Rome2Rio shows a taxi takes just 6 minutes...Google Maps says 10 minutes.  Cost is estimated at $11-$14US.

In the time you have available you'll be able to see all Portofino has to offer...