Cruise around Japan in Oct/Nov 2024

9tee2Sea

Thinking of doing a 2024 cruise R/T Tokyo.  I think it's about 16 days.  1 stop in S Korea. Overnight in Osaka, and a bunch of other ports.  I know weather can be unpredictable, but is end of Oct-Mid Nov decent?  I don't mind some rain ( not a Typhoon, but rain is ok).  Its on NCL Sun ( Older/smaller ship, I know).

I would spend 1-2 nights pre cruise and 2 nights post cruise in Tokyo.

Some of the best fall colors are in November.  We went several years ago and it was great, the weather was cool, but no rain.  We like the fall colors better than the cherry blossoms. These pictures were taken in Kyoto.

DSCN1464.JPG

DSCN1476.JPG

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 7:55 AM, 9tee2Sea said:

Thinking of doing a 2024 cruise R/T Tokyo.  I think it's about 16 days.  1 stop in S Korea. Overnight in Osaka, and a bunch of other ports.  I know weather can be unpredictable, but is end of Oct-Mid Nov decent?  I don't mind some rain ( not a Typhoon, but rain is ok).  Its on NCL Sun ( Older/smaller ship, I know).

I would spend 1-2 nights pre cruise and 2 nights post cruise in Tokyo.

Oct/Nov is typically gorgeous weather in Tokyo. The horrible summer heat and humidity will break and lots of clear skies. Even early December is nice down in Tokyo, but maybe a bit cold if your itinerary goes up to Hokkaido/Tohoku.

Typhoons are not like typically long lasting like hurricanes. In Tokyo they're usually just a single long day of endless rain and wind but the next day will be the clearest, most gorgeous weather.

I'll add the caveat that I haven't experienced a typhoon on a ship or smaller islands, but have heard they're more impactful. September tends to be busier for typhoons though. Personally I'd chance it!

• Like 1

Typhoons are not common in Japan. Average of about 28 typhoons in the six-month May to October season. Most make landfall in China. Only about four per season make landfall in Japan. And while Typhoons happen after the official season, they are most likely in areas that have many per season. We had Typhoons around Christmas in the Philippines, for example.  

Weather will be fall weather for the trip. But understand the temperature differences can be like Key West Florida vs Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada in November. So pack for warm weather to below freezing.

That said, it is a great trip and one that is a bucket list trip for most and never taken. You will have a great time. 

• Like 1