Venice - Held Luggage Facilities

I've seen references on this forum to the "held luggage" facility at Marco Polo, however my guidbooks don't cover this service. How repuatable is the service? How much does it cost? I'm assuming it's a certain price per bag per day.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

We used the "Held Luggage" service at Marco Polo in 2003. At that time it was 2 euros a day per bag but I believe the price has gone up since then. The bags could be locked after they were x-rayed. The office was at one end on the lower level of the airport. These type of luggage storage facilities have existed for many years in Europe beginning with offices in railroad stations. My wife remembered them from a trip she and a girlfriend took to England in the early 1970's.

If you are staying in Venice before or after a cruise it is a good option to avoid having to haul your bigger pieces of luggage around in a luggage unfriendly environment (steps on the bridges, uneven pavement, many cross canals, etc.).

The office had daily hours, something like 6 or 7 AM until 6 or 7 PM in the evening and was manned by a staff who watched over the luggage. You had to have a claim tag to get back your luggage.

From this board I have seem posts that mention the same sort of facility at the railroad station in Venice but I don't have any experience with it.

As far as it being safe, I wouldn't advice leaving very valuable jewery or lots of cash in your luggage even when you surrend it to be packed in the hole of an airliner. But for clothes and other less valuable items it seems to work fine.

Have a great next cruise.

We used it both this past summer 2005 and in the sumer 2004 at the end of cruises, and again will use it this summer. As the last poster mentioned, it is much easier to transfer to the airport following the cruise and check the majority of your luggage until you depart for home. You thus only need to take your carryons with you back to Venice, thus avoiding the problems of moving your bags up and down Venice's many bridges. We took the Alilaguna back to Venice and had an easy walk to our hotel. We were staying near the Fonte Nuevo stop, show it was a much shorter trip than to San Marco (and cheaper). Last summer the cost to store the luggage was 4.5 Euros per bag per 24 hour period. It might pay to wait a short time before checking your bags in in the AM if you don't think you will be back in time to retrieve them within an integral number of 24-hour periods to catch you flight home. I was not concerned about the safety of the luggage, but I agree, I would not leave camera equipment or jewelery in any checked luggage anywhere. We have four bags to check, so at 18 Euros per 24-hour period, its not cheap, but certainly convenient.

According to the article bookmarked below, there is a held (left) luggage office in the St Lucia Railroad station which is close to Piazzale Roma. Here is the link.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice_railroad_station.htm

I think I have also seen posting on this board that also mentioned this.

Have a great next cruise or stay in Venice.

Yes, there is a left luggage shop right in the Piazzale Roma. Very small but very easy to find. We used it both before and after our cruise last September. It was so much more convenient to just take a carry-on bag to our hotel within Venice than to have to lug the larger pieces that we had needed on the ship. I don’t remember the exact cost per bag but it was only a few euros.

Archived