Oceania Vista

Jdepot

25 minutes ago, Jdepot said:

If you book back to back cruises, what is the process if you do this.  Do you have to get off? Do you have to do the onboard at the ship again?

Depends on the turnaround port

It is  not just the VISTA

In USA turnaround ports  we have had to disembark  but we can either wait in the terminal building until the ship is zeroed  or go off for  a bit  then  get back on the ship

In the past they gave you  your new room key  a couple days prior to the end of the 1st cruise

disembarkation day  you get a card "in transit" so no need to do the check in again just go right to the  ship 

Other Countries  vary  you may not have to leave the ship  but you may also have to do the same as  USA

In any case you will get written instructions on what to do ...READ them & if you do not  understand  go ask at reception

I am sure current B2B ers will have more up to date information

To start, for the current era: very few cruisers actually do b2b cruises any more. Today most all cruises become “ Extended Voyages “. Which are cruises within themselves. So, there are no longer card key changes, transit keys, etc as mentioned above. Past history.

It is true that in the US and a few other countries, everyone must exit the ship, and often go through security or immigration again. In most countries this is not the case. The new Embarkment Day for arrivals is just another port day for most ongoing guests.

There may be other requirements on the new segment, however those seem to vary and are outside your question.

• Haha 1

I have also found the requirement to get off the ship, or not, to vary quite a bit…

The most officious IMHO, was India, just ports of call on our cruise, but everyone, including entire crew, had to disembark, go thru immigration, metal detectors, etc., and then reboard, at our first and last of four ports of call there.

Surprised they didn’t require us to drag our belongings off and back on🙄.

Regarding back to backs, it could vary according to whether the cruise turns around at the same port it started from, or at a different one.  I would consider the former as a “back to back”, and the latter as an “extended voyage”…in the former nearly everyone ends their voyage, in the ladder a large number continue on, and are just making a port of call stop…

22 minutes ago, bob brown said:

I have also found the requirement to get off the ship, or not, to vary quite a bit…

The most officious IMHO, was India, just ports of call on our cruise, but everyone, including entire crew, had to disembark, go thru immigration, metal detectors, etc., and then reboard, at our first and last of four ports of call there.

On turnaround ports  where the segmenters  board  are you required to disembark in some ports ?

10 hours ago, bob brown said:

Regarding back to backs, it could vary according to whether the cruise turns around at the same port it started from, or at a different one.  I would consider the former as a “back to back”, and the latter as an “extended voyage”…in the former nearly everyone ends their voyage, in the ladder a large number continue on, and are just making a port of call stop…

I think there is a lot of make work, or featherbedding, jobs in India. Once when we got off the Nautica in Mumbai we of course went through several sets of paper inspections before we left that sprawling and remarkably ugly port for our excursion. When asked for my passport I mistakenly offered Kate's. The official looked at her picture in it and then at me and let me through. even though I'm not blonde or in anyway similar. Did the same for Kate while looking at my picture. Obviously didn't care at all. But he had a paycheck. 

Only time we all had to get off the ship was in Haifa during COVID times. 

21 hours ago, LHT28 said:

On turnaround ports  where the segmenters  board  are you required to disembark in some ports ?

Not so far, but not to say there aren’t any, somewhere.  Probably much less likely on ATW where the majority of passengers are “in transit”…

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ChadnKate said:
21 hours ago, bob brown said:

I think there is a lot of make work, or featherbedding, jobs in India.

That’s an understatement!  Labor is very cheap there, and they will use manual labor wherever possible rather than a modern mechanized alternative.

In Mumbai, instead of using modern body scanners like the airports, they separate men and women into separate lines to be physically frisked….the women get the benefit of a curtained off booth.

When going ashore, you must carry your landing sheet and display it four or more times, both disembarking and returning.  Even if you are on a tour bus passing thru the port gate, an inspector boards and checks everyones.🙄

Our next port, Columbo, Sri Lanka, was just the opposite…their immigration officials even boarded our ship in Kochi, India, and worked the overnight voyage to Columbo, to clear our ship.

When we arrived in Columbo, we were cleared fairly promptly, and only needed our ship card to disembark, with no further inspection.🙂

• Like 2