OSLO: distance from Ship to City Hall

There were two different cruise ship docks used when we pulled into Oslo last July--one very near city centre, which I'd guess would put you very close, maybe a 10-minute walk max, to City Hall; the second was a distance away, but featured a similarly close walk to the far end of the Stroget major strolling/shopping boulevard that runs West-East roughly from the City Hall area to the train station. We hopped on a shuttle bus that took us from the far pier to the town center pier (I think the shuttle was free, but don't hold me to that!). At the town center pier, you can either walk into town or catch the ferry to visit the viking ship museum & other attractions.

Boo's Mom, all of the ports have excellent websites, usually with a call list so you can see your ship & assigned pier, as well as a local map and attractions and public transportation information. Here's my bookmarked link for the Oslo one--I haven't checked it, so if it doesn't work out, Google for the up-to-date site. http://www.oslocruise.com/

Have been to Oslo several times and have used different berths. They are all walkable to the City Hall, however, and it is well worth a visit as well as being very easy to find. The murals are fascinating. The City Hall is much nicer inside than its appearance outside would indicate.

Marge M

You should be able to do this in good time. Make sure that you are ready to go as soon as you hear the clearance announcement. As you come off the ship, turn left and follow the waterfront to bring you into the city centre. The boats and ferries leave from infront of the City Hall and are clearly marked. The walk should be about 10 - 15 mins. The trip across the fjord to the Folk Museum, Viking Museum and Kon Tiki Museum is well worth it and very easy to do for anyone who wants to do it independently of the ship's tours.

Marge M.

If you're looking at walking...purchase a Oslo Pass and save yourself some money...We bought the passes and took the bus/tram up to Vigeland Park, (which is the only attraction open at 7:00 am anyway) then take the tram/shuttle to the Folk, Viking and Kon Tiki Museums...the pass will also admit you to all of these attractions. You can also take the ferry boat back to the dock and walk back to the ship...or even go to the Fortress.....which is also included in the pass.....

Archived