El Morro sailing away!

Sigtau21

Will I be able to see El Morro from the ship? I will be leaving on The Empress of the Seas. It is departing from Pan Am pier at 5pm. Will I be able to see the fort from the ship and get some exterior pictures of the ship from there? How much daylight will there be at 5pm in mid april?

Go to www.timeanddate.com/worldclock and scroll down to San Juan. Click on it. Then look for link to get info on any date and follow directions. It will give you the sunrise/sunset times etc......

You can get this info for anywhere. Sometimes you must do a "custom search" but just one extra step.

Also you can get this info from weather.com but more work.

On April the sunset in SJ is at about 6:30-6:45 PM...

You will be able to see El Morro as you sail away...

I'm curious... is your sailing on the Empress a regular 3 night cruise? cause if so, it actually departs later at night, and not at 5... I've been on that cruise 2 times (going on my 3rd this December), and we always sail by at night.. :)

The earliest the sun sets in PR is approx. 6 pm in December; the latest is about 7:30 pm in June. Puerto Rico does not go on Daylight Savings Time. They remain on Atlantic Standard Time (AST) all year.

As far as seeing El Morro when you leave... it'll be a little more than a "rock's throw away" as you're going through the channel. It's very pretty during the day, but perhaps even prettier after dark when it's lighted. You'll have good lighting because the sun will be behind you as you take pictures from the ship while sailing away.

The one thing I like to think about while sailing away from El Morro is that Sir Francis Drake and his ships bombarded the fort. If you visit El Morro and see the walls, which are 8 - 10 feet thick in places, you'll understand what a futile attempt it was. They didn't have explosive cannon balls back then, so they all pretty much bounced off the fort. On the other hand the cannons in the fort had a field day lobbing cannon balls through the ships' rigging!!!

Dave

:) :) :)

Archived