NCL Transfer to JFK?

jenner418

This week I booked NCL's transfer to JFK for 10/8 (Sunday). Ship's anticipated arrival is 7 AM in New York; disembarkation anticipated around 9 AM.  My flight leaves at 11:25 AM.  Nothing was said when I called customer service and booked transfer, but when I called tonight with my mother to book her transfer the customer service person said recommendation was not to book transfer service if flight was less than 5 hours out. 

I am now questioning my flight time and best transfer options. Thoughts? Reading previous posts and NCL transfers in general (Not NYC specific) have varied reviews. 

Also, how is JFK to navigate? 

1 hour ago, jenner418 said:

This week I booked NCL's transfer to JFK for 10/8 (Sunday). Ship's anticipated arrival is 7 AM in New York; disembarkation anticipated around 9 AM.  My flight leaves at 11:25 AM.  Nothing was said when I called customer service and booked transfer, but when I called tonight with my mother to book her transfer the customer service person said recommendation was not to book transfer service if flight was less than 5 hours out. 

They are giving you good advice-- this is extremely tight and if you disembark at 9am you will not make your flight with an NCL transfer. JFK is easily an hour from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal in normal traffic and can take even longer than that sometimes. The only real shot you have of making this, without running through the terminal, is to book a private transfer and self disembark the ship with your luggage in the first group. You'll need to be off the ship more like 7:30-8am to make this work, even with a private transfer via taxi, Uber, or car service. 

1 hour ago, jenner418 said:

Also, how is JFK to navigate? 

JFK is enormous and spread over numerous terminals. Without knowing what airline you are flying its difficult to give specifics but it will take you some time at that point in the morning to get through TSA and get to the gate. 

How does the NCL tour bus discharge at JFK. I assume they go to Federal Circle and you use the AirTrain (free) but the AirTrain and Terminal 1/5/7 are all under construction. AirTrain won't be stopping at Terminal 1 most of the year and there are changes to how they operate as they can't make a full circuit of the airport.

If NCL is dropping you off at each terminal add that time in, going between terminals takes TIME exit and entering various roads and backups on those roads.

Just some things to consider.

https://www.jfkairport.com/to-from-airport/air-train

AirTrain JFK is experiencing an extended closure of the Terminal 1 Station. During this period, free shuttle bus service is being provided between Terminals 1 and 8 (24 hours a day). Customer service agents and baggage handlers are available at every bus stop. View the details of the extended closure.

Thanks everyone!  After hearing the advice from the NCL rep yesterday it was already in my head that my flight with Sun Country most likely will not work but wanted others thoughts if it was even worth trying to scramble to make it.

I plan on rebooking for a later flight. Think I would be safe with a 12:30 PM flight? Or I should I change to LGA?

26 minutes ago, jenner418 said:

Think I would be safe with a 12:30 PM flight? Or I should I change to LGA?

12:30 is still right on the front end of what is recommended but should be ok. 

Switching to LGA might be a good option for you if you were concerned over the size of JFK. LGA (with the exception of a few airlines) now has new terminals and is a much smaller airport experience than JFK, not to mention a little bit closer to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal than JFK. 

Thank you Princeton!  

Prices for non-stop flights are similar and departure times are within 5 minutes of each other for both airports (unfortunately not any 1 or 2 PM departures) so I may switch to LGA based on your feedback seeing as there is not much of a difference. 

11 minutes ago, jenner418 said:

so I may switch to LGA based on your feedback seeing as there is not much of a difference. 

If its not much of a difference in price, and JFK doesn't provide any later departures, I think you'll be in much better shape with the LGA flight then.