Icy Point Tour/Combo Recommendations?

BazAl

Heya,

Family of 4. Celebrity Millennium AUG 7TH  9AM-7PM.  Good amount of time in this port.

I know Icy Point is known for whale watching - so we definitely would like to do that in the AM.  However, there are sooooo many tour groups that do them - I have no idea who to pick.  Also - I noticed different boats - sizes that conduct them 24, 30, 42 people etc etc.  Now I don't want a private tour (too $$) - but 42 people??  Isn't that a lot.  I'm not sure what the sweet spot is - vessel size (like 2 stories - better spotting?) vs people vs ability to maneuver - I do understand there is a minimum distance to keep from whales.  So looking for recommendations of a company that does it WELL since this will be our only whale watching tour on the cruise.

Also - considering a second tour afterwards - just not sure which yet.  Want variety so considering Kayaking???  Or anything you guys recommend.

Currently Juneau - Tracy Arm (WE think) Boat Tour, Ketchiken (Bering Sea Crab), Skagway - Unsure (maybe chilikoot wildlife viewing if there is room).

Thanks!

I think smaller boat is better for whale watching for many reasons..(except if you are prone to sea sickness, then larger may be better.)   

Our ISP whale watching trip was fantastic.... one of our most memorable excursions ever....  I loved it.

We used Icy Strait Whale Adventures and our boat held about 12 if I recall correctly.

18 hours ago, BazAl said:

Also - I noticed different boats - sizes that conduct them 24, 30, 42 people etc etc.  Now I don't want a private tour (too $$) - but 42 people??  Isn't that a lot.  I'm not sure what the sweet spot is - vessel size (like 2 stories - better spotting?) vs people vs ability to maneuver -

I have done 2 whale watching excursions at ISP.  The first was an excursion thru Celebrity with a tribal owned newer high speed catamaran (2021) which held about 40 people.  It was fine.  there was an upper deck for viewing, and there was lots of whale action.  In fact, some people got bored and went back to the cabin and just hung out, leaving more space on the 2 decks to move around.  After seeing the whales, we went to and area and saw otters.

The 2nd whale watching was with Glacier Winds less that two weeks ago.  We were with Capt Shawn in the 6 person boat.  It was great, and Capt Shawn had lots of flexibility to go where whales and other marine life (as well as seeing 3 bears along the shoreline).

The whale watching experience comes done to time of the season, the captain's instinct for where the whales are (along with radar showing where the schools of herring are), other captain's sharing info, and pure luck.  

On the 40 person boat (very late Sept '21) we saw whales continuously bubble feeding (so cool), and saw one breach.  On our early May '23 whale watching, we saw whale's backs, tails, fins, and I was lucky enough to see one breach.

So if you can get on with Glacier Winds, I would recommend that first.  If you end up on the 40 person boat, enjoy that.

• Like 2

Thanks guys!  I just contacted Glacier Winds with my inquiries!  Fingers crossed - they still have space for August. I HOPE we get a good whale showing.  A decade ago in late May/early June - we did 2 whale watching tours- in ISP and Juneau.  Only saw tails.  Cute... but after 10+ tails - it's like JUMP JUMP JUMP! Didn't happen.

Anyway - so for part 2 - since we have time.  What "secondary" tour would you recommend after Whale Watching.  Attempting "variety". First post includes our port excursions.

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, BazAl said:

Thanks guys!  I just contacted Glacier Winds with my inquiries!  Fingers crossed - they still have space for August. I HOPE we get a good whale showing.  A decade ago in late May/early June - we did 2 whale watching tours- in ISP and Juneau.  Only saw tails.  Cute... but after 10+ tails - it's like JUMP JUMP JUMP! Didn't happen.

Anyway - so for part 2 - since we have time.  What "secondary" tour would you recommend after Whale Watching.  Attempting "variety". First post includes our port excursions.

Thanks!

I did this tour last week as well:

http://geestahuntours.com

After whale watching. It was definitely a different type of tour. This takes you to real Alaska that most people do not see. We went searching for bears and we found 3 (I saw 2 and later in my pics, I found the 3rd one - we knew mama was near by). 

I have no doubt it would be different (better) in August. The area was still very brown and Greg said it would green up in probably 2 weeks. They would be more bear activity in August due to salmon running.

You may want to read some reviews and see if this is right for your family. Greg picked me up at the pier right after whale watching.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g31010-d20056039-r745288416-Gee_Sta_Hun_Tours-Hoonah_Alaska.html 

@Coral  Tour looks interesting!  Not a lot of reviews but seems new and promising.  Unfortunately for Aug 7th only a 10 AM or 1 PM tour is listed - whale watching tour starts at 10AM.  I'll contact the operator in case it's full or for possible openings. 

Any other recommendations in the meantime?