Norfolk garage parking

We're going on a cruise on July out of Norfolk, but staying at a hotel the night before. Has anyone recently parked in the main street garage for the duration of their cruise? It's the designated garage for our hotel and is closer to port, so we'd like to just leave our car there for the 6 days and walk over. I see posts that say "no cruise parking" signs are out but how is that even enforced if we're there the day before anyway? I went on the Norfolk city parking site and didn't see anything about cruise parking not being allowed. Anyone use this garage recently without issues? They obviously allow overnight parking if our hotel uses them... ?

I believe the only way you could stay in that parking garage is to arrange with the hotel and pay the parking fee they charge which if I remember correctly is more expensive than what the city would charge.  Otherwise you do run the risk of having your car towed. It is a city owned parking garage and overnight parking is not allowed unless you have a reserved space that is paid monthly,

The downtown hotels don't give you a hang tag for your car so the parking garage people have no idea why your car is there.  We parked in the Waterside garage last year without a problem.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Lizard13 said:

I believe the only way you could stay in that parking garage is to arrange with the hotel and pay the parking fee they charge which if I remember correctly is more expensive than what the city would charge.  Otherwise you do run the risk of having your car towed. It is a city owned parking garage and overnight parking is not allowed unless you have a reserved space that is paid monthly,

Oddly, I've searched the entire website for city parking and I can't find anything that says overnight parking isn't allowed. In fact,  it says most garages allow it,  so that's why I'm so confused! 

I have not looked closely at the web page so I defer to you.  The few downtown garages I have parked in recently do have signage that states no cruise ship parking but how they know you are on a cruise is a mystery to me.  

I recently attended an event at the Sheraton downtown Norfolk waterfront.  We parked in the city garage next door to the hotel and there were signs about "no overnight parking".  I'm not sure if the hotel has a special parking area inside the garage or if there is some sticker you place inside the front dashboard?  You may want to also check with the Main (also downtown Norfolk) - I've heard they have a special "park & cruise" package, but I haven't confirmed it.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, pasodancer said:

I recently attended an event at the Sheraton downtown Norfolk waterfront.  We parked in the city garage next door to the hotel and there were signs about "no overnight parking".  I'm not sure if the hotel has a special parking area inside the garage or if there is some sticker you place inside the front dashboard?  You may want to also check with the Main (also downtown Norfolk) - I've heard they have a special "park & cruise" package, but I haven't confirmed it.  

We're staying at the Marriot, but using points, so will inquire when we arrive about extended parking. It's more expensive through them, but then our car is in a garage and we can just walk the couple blocks to the port vs parking, shuttle, etc. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Would love to hear how this worked out for you? We are cruising in September out of Norfolk and staying over the night before at the Marriott. We planned on leaving our vehicle in the city garage for the week. The price quoted online is $13 per day. 

So, it worked just fine. A few things to note...

If you want in/out privileges with Marriot, you have to register your car and it's a higher rate. If you're just paying it for the week, no need to register. 

When you depart, they ask if you were on the cruise. If you say yes, they will yell at you for parking there and claim it's a higher rate. We had an error with our ticket and she had to manually ring us up. Cruise rate was $90 but the regular overnight at $13 would have been $91 for our sat-sun, so if you're staying the night before, it's a wash anyway. Easy walk to Port and we'd definitely do it again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1