Is a Noon Departure possible from EWR?

JoJo1008

We'll be taking the Oct 5 fall foliage cruise on the Liberty. The latest non-stop back to San Antonio is at 12:34 and we'd really like to be on it. When is the earliest we could be off the ship (carrying our bags) and how far of a drive is the airport? We all have Global Entry to make it a little quicker through security. Are there lots of cabs available once you're out of the cruise terminal?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

12 minutes ago, JoJo1008 said:

The latest non-stop back to San Antonio is at 12:34 and we'd really like to be on it. When is the earliest we could be off the ship (carrying our bags) and how far of a drive is the airport?

It all depends on a few factors but assuming your ship arrives on time and you don't have any issues with immigration you should be able to make a 12:30 flight. Typically 7-7:30ish you'll be able to self disembark if things go smoothly. I believe Port Everglades in Ft Lauderdale is the only cruise port that offers Global Entry but someone here might have more updated info-- its been a while since we sailed Cape Liberty. 

Uber/Lyft will be your friend here and EWR is only about 20 minutes away-- cabs in New Jersey are awful, unreliable, and not plentiful. Since you have Global Entry you'll be able to utilize TSA PreCheck at the airport. 

1 hour ago, JoJo1008 said:

We'll be taking the Oct 5 fall foliage cruise on the Liberty. The latest non-stop back to San Antonio is at 12:34 and we'd really like to be on it. When is the earliest we could be off the ship (carrying our bags) and how far of a drive is the airport? We all have Global Entry to make it a little quicker through security. Are there lots of cabs available once you're out of the cruise terminal?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

You will have no issues with a flight after noon departing from EWR. The cruise port & airport are about 10 miles apart. Your flight departs on a weekend as well but on a weekday a 12:30 flight would be fine.

I was on Liberty's first Bayonne sailing last week & the disembarking was very disorganized. I have no doubt it will be effective by your cruise. Despite the disorganization, self assist passengers began disembarking at 7:45. I think it was supposed to start at 7:30. You will not need to be a self assist passenger with a  12:30 flight. 

Facial recognition in the terminal takes seconds. Do have passport ready if you fail facial recognition. I failed once because Royal misspelled my name, presenting my passport allowed me to proceed quickly.

Taxi service is not available in front of the terminal as is for Uber/Lyft & car services. For the taxi area, exit the terminal to the right (towards the parking garage), once outside go left, along the side of the terminal. When you get to the road there will be a crosswalk. Go across 2 crosswalks to the taxi area. It is in a paved parking lot. There will be workers to direct, answer questions. It was much better organized than when I last used taxi service in 2021.

The shared van I used last week departed as soon as I boarded. You probably will have a longer wait, to get more passengers heading to EWR in your shared vehicle. Contact Archies Cab in Bayonne (201-436-3656), ask if they are allowed to service Cape Liberty on disembarking (they do drop off passengers on boarding day). If so, ask if they can meet you in the car service waiting area in front of the terminal. This area has overhead hanging numbers to identify each pickup zone.

Edited by meadowlander

I used Google for Archie's phone number, it is incorrect. 201 -858-8800 is Archie's number. Private taxi cost to EWR from CL is $65 (includes tolls), shared van is $20 or $25 per person. The shared van will wait for a full or near full van.

Edited by meadowlander

36 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

You will have no issues with a flight after noon departing from EWR. The cruise port & airport are about 10 miles apart. Your flight departs on a weekend as well but on a weekday a 12:30 flight would be fine.

I was on Liberty's first Bayonne sailing last week & the disembarking was very disorganized. I have no doubt it will be effective by your cruise. Despite the disorganization, self assist passengers began disembarking at 7:45. I think it was supposed to start at 7:30. You will not need to be a self assist passenger with a  12:30 flight. 

Facial recognition in the terminal takes seconds. Do have passport ready if you fail facial recognition. I failed once because Royal misspelled my name, presenting my passport allowed me to proceed quickly.

Taxi service is not available in front of the terminal as is for Uber/Lyft & car services. For the taxi area, exit the terminal to the right (towards the parking garage), once outside go left, along the side of the terminal. When you get to the road there will be a crosswalk. Go across 2 crosswalks to the taxi area. It is in a paved parking lot. There will be workers to direct, answer questions. It was much better organized than when I last used taxi service in 2021.

The shared van I used last week departed as soon as I boarded. You probably will have a longer wait, to get more passengers heading to EWR in your shared vehicle. Contact Archies Cab in Bayonne (201-436-3656), ask if they are allowed to service Cape Liberty on disembarking (they do drop off passengers on boarding day). If so, ask if they can meet you in the car service waiting area in front of the terminal. This area has overhead hanging numbers to identify each pickup zone.

Thank you for all of the great info. Do you happen to know if Uber/Lyft are plentiful there or is it best to just plan for a cab? There will be four of us so the cost of a cab is not important. 

36 minutes ago, JoJo1008 said:

Thank you for all of the great info. Do you happen to know if Uber/Lyft are plentiful there or is it best to just plan for a cab? There will be four of us so the cost of a cab is not important. 

You are welcome. Uber/Lyft service Cape Liberty. I expect surge pricing to be in effect as it was when I priced Uber on boarding day for Liberty. Car service is available through Carmel Limo or Dial 7.

If you use any car service, other than taxi, upon passing facial recognition, exit the terminal to your left. Outside go right., You will see the metal canopy, this is the beginning of car service pick up area. Numbers will indicate zones 6 through 10 to tell your driver where you are waiting. There is limited seating in this area.

If you use taxi, follow the instructions provided earlier. You can get to the taxi area by exiting left but it is a longer walk.

• Like 1