Am I being unreasonable?

cassie55

1 hour ago, SeekingKillerWhales! said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. No one has to thank anyone who is rude or demeaning to them, the only people who feel that way are the bullies/abusers themselves. There is a small group of posters here who constantly demean or belittle people for their inexperience and expectations. And yes, occasionally those expectations are out of line, but that doesn't mean people have make posters who already are feeling bad, feel worse. I'm not talking about the people who are clearly out of their gourd with their expectations, I'm talking people who have an idea of what customer service is and it's not being met. And the gang comes out to tell them how stupid they are for having that expectation. 

Fortunately it's not a huge amount of posters, and over time you learn who they are and know just to roll your eyes at them. And hope they aren't driving away newbies who need help. (They probably are. People don't come back to places that demean them and they don't have the experience to spot the bullies.) But if someone is more interested in proclaiming their superiority is versus helping a newbie, yeah, no thank you is needed. 

I saw no on rude of demeaning at all.  I just saw and read posrt with varying opinions as to whether the requets was unreasonable which is EXACTLY what teh OP asked. for.  Just because someone gas an opinion that si not what you are hoping to get does not mena thay are unsympathetic.

1 hour ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Just because you infer something does not mean that the other persom is implying it.

And just because I infer something doesn't mean they're not implying it either. You really have not seen rudeness on the boards? I have and it doesn't feel the same as it used to. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ExpatBride said:

I didn't see anyone being rude or bullying.

please have another look.

yes, in this thread.

it's as common around here as "free" specialty dining.

i have these folks on "ignore," but when people start quoting them, i can see their comments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SeekingKillerWhales! said:

And just because I infer something doesn't mean they're not implying it either. You really have not seen rudeness on the boards? I have and it doesn't feel the same as it used to. 

Don't interact with the saboteurs. I find a few of the posts funny, but typically just scroll on by!  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SeekingKillerWhales! said:

And just because I infer something doesn't mean they're not implying it either. 

Just to nit-pick, a little, because it happens to me all the time. 😁

You may infer anything you wish from a post, but that's on you, not the poster. Only the poster knows what they are implying. Your inference is nothing more than a guess based your own reasoning.

Edited by RB9643

15 minutes ago, RB9643 said:

Just to nit-pick, a little, because it happens to me all the time. 😁

You may infer anything you wish from a post, but that's on you, not the poster. Only the poster knows what they are implying. Your inference is nothing more than a guess based your own reasoning.

Thanks, but as an adult I really can tell when someone is rude. 

12 minutes ago, RB9643 said:

Only the poster knows what they are implying.

yes. that's why we have two different words... "imply" and "infer." they mean different things, but it largely has to do with one's vantage point.

14 minutes ago, RB9643 said:

Your inference is nothing more than a guess based your own reasoning.

oh, gosh, no... an inference is based specifically on two things... "evidence" and reasoning.

what somebody else has said and the manner in which they said it is indeed the "evidence." in the case of an online post, the words somebody has chosen become part of the data set upon which somebody else may base their inference, which is made by looking at the evidence as interpreted by reason and experience. that's not a guess... it's deductive reasoning.

if i were to say that some of the malcontents here were 16 year old kids in heir bedrooms making mischief on cruise critic, that would be a guess, as i'd have no reason to infer that.  

52 minutes ago, UKstages said:

... an inference is based specifically on two things... "evidence" and reasoning.

... that's not a guess... it's deductive reasoning.

Point taken. This can go down the rabbit hole quite quickly.

I will simply stand pat saying that your inference of what a non-explicit post implies is not necessarily true.

1 hour ago, RB9643 said:

Point taken. This can go down the rabbit hole quite quickly.

I will simply stand pat saying that your inference of what a non-explicit post implies is not necessarily true.

I did not infer anything.  The reader infers, the speaker implies.

5 hours ago, SeekingKillerWhales! said:

I was speaking of this thread in particular and speaking about being sympathetic referencing the OPs 'thank you' post.  Someone subsequent to that introduced the topic of rudeness.  That was not me.

3 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

I was speaking of this thread in particular and speaking about being sympathetic referencing the OPs 'thank you' post.  Someone subsequent to that introduced the topic of rudeness.  That was not me.

You said that in relation to my post that included "There is a small group of posters here who constantly demean or belittle people for their inexperience and expectations." If you believed that referred to this post only, that is what you read. I feel the conversation broadened even before that. Again, we can agree to disagree. 

I often wonder if social media has changed the way NCL and other corporations respond to requests like this.  They can't win either way.  If they don't make an exception they may get bashed all over for their inflexibility.  If they do adjust their deadline, and it gets communicated via Cruise Critic (or elsewhere), they look good and have a happy customer, but now hundreds of people know it's a possibility and are more likely to fight for something similar.

As for the "ignore" feature, in 20 years on Cruise Critic there are only two people that annoyed me enough to put them on the naughty list.  One is no longer posting, and the other still injects drama, superiority and rudeness wherever he goes.  People quote him a lot so he's getting the response he probably wants. (BTW he hasn't posted on this thread yet)