Denali late in the season

nodumblond

So we were REALLY excited that HAL had a promo on a land and sea cruise we could afford that took us to Denali for a half-day (I know, I know, not nearly enough time, but you take what you can get when you can get it).  Because of DH's work schedule, we had to choose the very last one they had, leaving Fairbanks on 9/16/23 for the park.

We're not particularly thrilled with HAL's ShoreEx offerings (only 14 miles into the park on a bus? really?), and sadly, the transit buses stop running . . . two days before we get there. Feh.

Does anyone have any suggestions on companies that might still be running tours into the Park itself that late in the season?  Are we better off doing a Jeep tour down Denali Highway or an ATV trip to Black Mountain? We're fairly independent travellers and could do some hiking, but DH's knees limit what he can handle.

Thanks for whatever feedback you can share.

Rent a car and drive yourself. The first 15 miles of the Denali Park road are open to cars. It's beyond mile 15 that you have to be on the bus. And you may be there at the time when the park road is open to private vehicles to mile 30. More details are here: https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shoulder-season.htm

• Like 1

You can try to switch to the longer Tundra Wilderness Tour, but your biggest problem is that you probably only have time for the shorter tour before you are put on a bus or train headed south.

Edited by wolfie11

1 hour ago, Northern Aurora said:

Since our OP is only at Denali for what they describe as half a day I also wonder what their options are.  They may not have time to rent a vehicle and drive into the park. 

Is the Jeep tour a HAL excursion?  

The short answer re: options is: not much.

The (independent) jeep tour shuts down . . . wait for it . . . the day before we arrive; their rentals stop a week before.

I called the local car rental companies and they are either too pricey (really? Over $1000  for a vehicle? for a day?) or out of options that would allow us to progress past mile 14. A recommendation to Turo (think AirB&B for vehicles) listed options . . . in Anchorage.

The Tundra Wilderness Tour is, sadly, not an option this late in the season.

I appreciate all the feedback, and your grace in not wagging fingers at my not doing more research before booking. Maybe it will be one of those "got a taste and want to go back" experiences.

Having said that, if anyone knows anyone near Denali that would be willing to take an intrepid couple on a private tour in the park, let me know.

Thank you all!

@nodumblond:  Have you been in contact with the Denali area visitor's bureau/Chamber of Commerce.  I know they have one.  There was, at least pre-covid, someone in the Denali area who did private walking tours/simple hikes for visitors.  I have no idea of the name, but when trip reports were posted (in a thread sorted by year at the top of this index page) at least one trip report from several years ago mentioned taking one.  

There also is at least one of the BnBs or a small lodge (not associated with a cruise line) which has rented used vehicles in the past.  Is that the local rental car company you have mentioned?  My memory is that they are located in Healy.

19 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

You have to be a concessionaire to take people on tours in the park.  The busses are the only option. 

The company which, as I admit don't remember the name, did not operate actually within the confines of DNP.  They did walks/hikes outside of the actual park borders.  The one really detailed description I remember reading was along a stream south of the DNP entrance.