Formal night on a 4 day vs 7 day cruise

Lforlisa

I'd like to know if in general the women are more casually dressed on a 4 day formal night as opposed to a formal night on a 7 day? Do you think it is more cocktail dresses instead of evening gowns b/c it is a shorter cruise? Thanks!

Until I went on RCI Monarch of the Sea last November, I would have told you no, there is no difference with formal night. But, from what I saw on that 3 nighter, it was a real eye opener. While many women wore formal/semi formal clothing, there were just as many who wore Sunday best and many who only bothered with a sparkly t-shirt and black pants. What I consider to be cheap, trendy daywear was very prevalent.

So, the choice is really yours, I prefer to dress formal, if there is a request, but I think you could leave the ballgown at home, that would be over doing it.

On the other hand, I recently went on QM2 for a 3 night cruise and what a difference! They had sent out info in advance that there would be 2 formal nights, although in reality there was only one. Well, in comparison to most other ships, casual nights were more like informal, formal was amazing, I've never been on a ship where I saw so many beautiful clothes and so many tuxes. We still saw a very few in casual clothes, but they were in the minority. I have to say, it was fun, DH wore his black suit 2 nights, a very nice long sleeved shirt with slacks the first casual night. I wore the formal clothes I had gotten for 2 of the nights and an outfit that is nice for, say, New Years or Christmas Eve on the other.

So, it can depend on the ship. Most that only do the short cruises will, I suppose, be less casual, those that only occasionally throw in a short cruise may tend to be dressier.

I'd like to know if in general the women are more casually dressed on a 4 day formal night as opposed to a formal night on a 7 day? Do you think it is more cocktail dresses instead of evening gowns b/c it is a shorter cruise? Thanks!

I used to feel that but really it depends on the line you are on. Carnival and RCCL, many are very casual even on the 7 day cruises. but recently I went on a 5 day Celebrity cruise. It had one formal night and one informal night. both nights everyone really dressed up and the informal night was not very differant form the formal night except for you saw no tuxes on the men.

So if I were you and if the cruise is on Celebrity, still really dress up nicely-for Carnival and RCCL though you can get away with a pair of dress slacks or skirt and a sparkly top.

Heck on Carnival you could wear your blue jeans on formal night and no one would say a word.

On my five-day Carnival cruise, there were actually a lot of people who weren't dressed that casually. Even on casual nights, a lot of people were dressed nicer than they needed to be. And I don't remember seeing any jeans in the dining room. A lot of women wore full-length gowns and there were more men in tuxes and dress military uniforms than I expected to see.

On my 3 day Pacific Northwest cruise last september it was Casual, formal, casual. I would have to say that casual was a cross between what would be know as 'smart' casual and informal. Formal night was 75% tuxedos and gowns and 25% informal.

On the 2 day Cococay trip in January, although it was casual both nights, There was a mix of suits, tuxedos, blazers and polo shirts. I saw no shorts and no jeans in the late seating dining. Not to say that there weren't there, I just didn't notice as I felt a bit underdressed in my starched white dress shirt and nicely pressed khakis....(my definition of casual).

Dave:eek:

On my 3 day Pacific Northwest cruise last september it was Casual, formal, casual. I would have to say that casual was a cross between what would be know as 'smart' casual and informal. Formal night was 75% tuxedos and gowns and 25% informal.

On the 2 day Cococay trip in January, although it was casual both nights, There was a mix of suits, tuxedos, blazers and polo shirts. I saw no shorts and no jeans in the late seating dining. Not to say that there weren't there, I just didn't notice as I felt a bit underdressed in my starched white dress shirt and nicely pressed khakis....(my definition of casual).

Dave you do not say what cruiseline this was-that is a help to the OP.

Ehpride-you have been on one Carnival cruise and I would say you "lucked out". Now I am NOT saying I will never do another Carnival cruise again, I am sure I will because they are a good value, but they are not my first choice either.

We had plenty of people not properly dressed on my Inspiration cruise in Dec.03-about 2 years before your cruise- this was before the Miracle came out and back then that was a 7 night cruise. We did a 3 nighter on the Miracle 4 months later-this was when Miracle was first doing cruises and she was doing the shorter ones out of Jacksonville.

We actually had people dressed in shorts and toprical shirts on formal night at the table right next to us (Miracle April 04)-but that was not so bad-the table across form us like less then 6-8 feet away from us, was a table full of dirty, scrubby, smelly, people, a family which included the parents, a grandma, a teenaged son and younger kids. It was OUT and OUT GROSS.

Last Oct. on my RCCL Mariner of the Seas cruise-we had a family near us that wore jeans and tee shirts with slogans on them every night including the 2 formal nights. Actually the last night we went to Chops- so I guess they could have dressed better that night-but I know on the other 6 nights that that was true. Thank goodness they were clean-at least that was an improvement over my Miracle cruise.

It seems to me that on these 2 lines, the standards are just going lower and lower. Now if I cruise either line again I will dress properly and I PRAY I never have to sit close to dirty stinky people again. I think if that does happen again -I WILL complain-some things should not be tolerated. I was just too shocked that time to say anything.

Dave you do not say what cruiseline this was-that is a help to the OP.

Ehpride-you have been on one Carnival cruise and I would say you "lucked out". Now I am NOT saying I will never do another Carnival cruise again, I am sure I will because they are a good value, but they are not my first choice either.

We had plenty of people not properly dressed on my Inspiration cruise in Dec.03-about 2 years before your cruise- this was before the Miracle came out and back then that was a 7 night cruise. We did a 3 nighter on the Miracle 4 months later-this was when Miracle was first doing cruises and she was doing the shorter ones out of Jacksonville.

We actually had people dressed in shorts and toprical shirts on formal night at the table right next to us (Miracle April 04)-but that was not so bad-the table across form us like less then 6-8 feet away from us, was a table full of dirty, scrubby, smelly, people, a family which included the parents, a grandma, a teenaged son and younger kids. It was OUT and OUT GROSS.

Last Oct. on my RCCL Mariner of the Seas cruise-we had a family near us that wore jeans and tee shirts with slogans on them every night including the 2 formal nights. Actually the last night we went to Chops- so I guess they could have dressed better that night-but I know on the other 6 nights that that was true. Thank goodness they were clean-at least that was an improvement over my Miracle cruise.

It seems to me that on these 2 lines, the standards are just going lower and lower. Now if I cruise either line again I will dress properly and I PRAY I never have to sit close to dirty stinky people again. I think if that does happen again -I WILL complain-some things should not be tolerated. I was just too shocked that time to say anything.

As far as I know, my mom had a similar experience fashinon wise on the Miracle as she did on the Inspiration. I was trying to tell the OP that even if it's a shorter cruise that not all people will be dressed supercasually. Yes some people weren't dressed "formal" on formal night, but most were dressed formal or at least dressy and everybody I saw was clean at least. The OP asked and I answered. I may have gotten lucky or that may be the norm for that ship and itinerary, but it's hard to tell. The Inspiration is also sailing from a different port than when you were on it and that might also make a difference.

I was on the Celebrity Mercury for the Pacific Northwest cruise, and the Celebrity Century for the Cococay cruise.

Celebrity TENDS to be a bit dressier than some others.

I'm on a 10 night Mexican Riviera on Mercury leaving Friday and am already packed. I have not only my tuxedo, but a off white dinnerjacket, navy sports coat and slacks with various ties, sport shirts and khakis for casual nights and shorts and T's for running around the ports, this time a pair of jeans for horseback riding.

It all fits in a 3 suiter suitcase and a carry-on.

I don't get the reference some use that they have no room for formal clothing or hate to drag it around. I cruise all the time and have no problems with dressing up to the ships standards. And being in the midwest it is always at least a 3 hr flight to any port.

As for the nasty table you sat near, this happened to us two years ago on the Century. The people actually made comments on how stupid we were to wear a suit and tie.....we made comments on how they should go back to their trailer park and learn some etiquette. After complaining to the Matre'd the second or third night...They dissappeared from the dining room. Since that incident we really haven't seen that many violators, or at least not that bad to complain about.

LforLisa...its all about the attitude of the person. If you had a choice between a gown and a cocktail dress I would choose the gown just because you have it and might as well wear it. If you only have a cocktail dress I wouldn't go out and buy something new. It is perfectly appropriate. You will see women in both. I guess the diffence to me would be my reaction. Either.."WOW, what a beautiful dress...you look lovely!" or " thats a cute outfit...very pretty"...Either remark is a compliment.

I was on the Celebrity Mercury for the Pacific Northwest cruise, and the Celebrity Century for the Cococay cruise.

Celebrity TENDS to be a bit dressier than some others.

I'm on a 10 night Mexican Riviera on Mercury leaving Friday and am already packed. I have not only my tuxedo, but a off white dinnerjacket, navy sports coat and slacks with various ties, sport shirts and khakis for casual nights and shorts and T's for running around the ports, this time a pair of jeans for horseback riding.

It all fits in a 3 suiter suitcase and a carry-on.

I don't get the reference some use that they have no room for formal clothing or hate to drag it around. I cruise all the time and have no problems with dressing up to the ships standards. And being in the midwest it is always at least a 3 hr flight to any port.

As for the nasty table you sat near, this happened to us two years ago on the Century. The people actually made comments on how stupid we were to wear a suit and tie.....we made comments on how they should go back to their trailer park and learn some etiquette. After complaining to the Matre'd the second or third night...They dissappeared from the dining room. Since that incident we really haven't seen that many violators, or at least not that bad to complain about.

LforLisa...its all about the attitude of the person. If you had a choice between a gown and a cocktail dress I would choose the gown just because you have it and might as well wear it. If you only have a cocktail dress I wouldn't go out and buy something new. It is perfectly appropriate. You will see women in both. I guess the diffence to me would be my reaction. Either.."WOW, what a beautiful dress...you look lovely!" or " thats a cute outfit...very pretty"...Either remark is a compliment.

Yep Dave you were on a "classier" line. a Celebrity is nothing like going on for EX. Carnival Fanasty.

But it happened on Celebrity to you also? why should we have to complain about stinky people? I may not like sitting with the guy in the tropical shirt and shorts, or the guy in jeans and tee shirt-but I will put up with that-but STINKY people is another matter and should not be tolerated. You would think the matr'd's NOSE would tell him to refuse such people.

As far as I know, my mom had a similar experience fashinon wise on the Miracle as she did on the Inspiration. I was trying to tell the OP that even if it's a shorter cruise that not all people will be dressed supercasually. Yes some people weren't dressed "formal" on formal night, but most were dressed formal or at least dressy and everybody I saw was clean at least. The OP asked and I answered. I may have gotten lucky or that may be the norm for that ship and itinerary, but it's hard to tell. The Inspiration is also sailing from a different port than when you were on it and that might also make a difference.

The only differance now is you get 2 less ports-the Inpiration was doing the run that the Miracle now does. so yes we went to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. We also went to costa Maya and Belize. We went out of Tampa. Back then the Sensation was doing the 5 day-Cozumel/Grand Cayman cruise out fo Tampa.

I would think if anything, since the Inspiration is now the "mini cruise" from Tampa that it would not be as nice as the 7 day Miracle cruise.

We did have wonderful table mates on the Inspiration- they were first time cruisers and dressed nice and to code every night. It was others we saw. Not so much jeans but people in shorts at dinner-but atleast on the Inpiration they were clean.

It was only that one Miracle cruise that I had that super bad experience. Dave called similiar people "trailer park folk"-maybe they were- I have no idea where the people lived except they had Brooklyn accents and I do not think there are any trailer parks in Brooklyn-just high rises. (and before anyone "flames" me no-I do not believe people from Brooklyn do not take baths-just this one family who happened to have Brooklyn accents)

I also don't see how they could have been poor unless they won that cruise. We paid considerably more for the 3 day Miracle cruise then we did for the 7 day Inspiration one-the ship being brand new-was really popular and going for premiun prices.

What I really think happened was- that day we were in port-in fact we stayed in port over night that night-the only other time I have been on a ship that stayed in port overnight was when I cruised to Bermuda- I think they went deep sea fishing and got back late-and because it was "lobster night" they came stinky and in what they had worn all day.

The other two nights they were clean.

Archived