Pompeii on "Free Sunday"

nattie

Unfortunately for us we are docked in Naples on first Sunday of the month when admission to Pompeii is free. The unfortunate part will be the crowds since "skip the line" tix are not available for that day. We are planning to be off the ship and on the road no later than 8:30 am (hopefully earlier). From people that have been there (hopefully on free Sundays), how bad should I expect the crowds to be? Ie how long would the line be to get in?

The date is August 6, 2023 and I think we are the only ship in Naples that day (Enchanted Princess). We have private transportation booked and the plan is to head to Pompeii first to avoid the crowds as much as possible and than had to Vesuvio and winery for lunch.

It will be a zoo, there's nothing you can do about that, but you can make it a tad easier on yourself by having your driver bring you to the Anfiteatro entrance rather than the one near the Circumvesuviana train station.  The downside of this option is that there are no guides there, you'd be on your own unless you bring your own guide with you.

Also, know that you now need a timed entry ticket to climb the great cone of Vesuvio.  Be clear with your car service if you are expecting them to provide the tickets, because you cannot get them on site, only on line.

To underscore my point on admission numbers, the ministry of culture just released attendance numbers for June 2-4  2023, which included two free days (Sunday the 4th and Republic Day on the 2nd).  

Pompei was the most visited site, with 65,314 visitors over three days.

The Colosseum complex (which includes the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill) was second with 58,500.

Full article here:  Sangiuliano, numeri record per i musei nel ponte del 2 giugno - Bellezza - ANSA.it

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much! We have prearranged for the guide (not sure if they will be with us at pick up or we will meet in Pompeii) and tix to Vesuvio are included in our custom excursion. I am just bummed to waste time when we are on the clock. I'll ask my tour provider about possibly going to a different entrance.

Our ship docks at 7 am, should we ask for even earlier pick up (right now 8 am) to be as close to the beginning of the line in Pompeii as possible? Our tour provider said that there shouldnt be too many people when Pompeii first opens at 9 am. Not sure if thats true in August though.

I think your tour provider is being a bit optimistic, there will be plenty of people there at opening time on a free day in August.  No one wants to be wandering around Pompei in the August heat and sun later in the day.

Departing the port at 8:00 is fine, with normal traffic it's a half hour drive, so you've allowed for a worst case scenario.  As for the entrance, you tell the tour provider what you want and unless there is some reason they can't do it (the entrance is closed for some reason, or the road is blocked, etc.) they will do what you ask.  It's not a big deal for the guide to meet you at one entrance vs. another.

I agree with euro cruiser to arrange for your tour to drop off at the Anfiteatro gate. Far fewer folks end up there although there are some tour buses that drop off at that gate. However if you are there near opening time you will beat most of those.

Since tickets aren't required, the only line-up will be for a security/bag check. I've been through that gate (in 2020, after they installed the check in 2019) and it could take a little time. 

If it were me, I'd move the pick-up time up another 15 minutes or so (e.g., 7:45 am).  It could be that folks are not lined up that early, but I'd rather be early than sorry...

• Thanks 1