WIFI on Regent Splendor

lesliew

On 6/27/2023 at 12:19 AM, Dk-cruiser said:

Going on Splendor on Friday, and have booked a Superior GTY, and can now see we are upgraded to a Concierge, which normally include 4 wifi logins. 

Do we get 4 logins? Or 1?

If we get 4, do we then pay 9.99 USD for upgrading to their "premium" wifi for each login, or 9.99 USD total for all?

Is the wifi okay to do Youtube/Netflix streaming if we have the premium plan?

Last cruise was on Celebrity with Starlink installed, and it was very good for streaming. 

We are on Splendor as we speak, and also received an unexpected upgrade to a Concierge D, after booking a GTY H.

We received the four logins and have made use of them without any difficulty. It's as if they never recognized that we had paid for a lower category. We had figured we'd end up in a G2, G1, or, at best, an F2 or F1, and had assumed that we'd have to pay to have multiple logins, so this was a very nice surprise.

The WiFi itself is not fast enough for streaming - we haven't even tried - but it's adequate for email, reading the news and uploading photos at reduced resolution to Facebook, which is all we need.

If you want to watch video on your devices, I would think your best bet would be to download some before leaving home. I did so with Hulu, HBO Max and Apple TV. Interestingly, I discovered that while we are in port, Hulu picks up on our location and refuses to play even the downloaded videos due to international copyright restrictions. However, once we are in international waters, the downloaded videos become available again. To be honest, there's so much to do on the ship and on shore that we haven't found the need to watch anything, even on the TV, but I did watch a couple of old Frasier episodes, which I had pre-downloaded, last night to help myself get to sleep.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chateaunole-du-pape said:

We are on Splendor as we speak, and also received an unexpected upgrade to a Concierge D, after booking a GTY H.

We received the four logins and have made use of them without any difficulty. It's as if they never recognized that we had paid for a lower category. We had figured we'd end up in a G2, G1, or, at best, an F2 or F1, and had assumed that we'd have to pay to have multiple logins, so this was a very nice surprise.

The WiFi itself is not fast enough for streaming - we haven't even tried - but it's adequate for email, reading the news and uploading photos at reduced resolution to Facebook, which is all we need.

If you want to watch video on your devices, I would think your best bet would be to download some before leaving home. I did so with Hulu, HBO Max and Apple TV. Interestingly, I discovered that while we are in port, Hulu picks up on our location and refuses to play even the downloaded videos due to international copyright restrictions. However, once we are in international waters, the downloaded videos become available again. To be honest, there's so much to do on the ship and on shore that we haven't found the need to watch anything, even on the TV, but I did watch a couple of old Frasier episodes, which I had pre-downloaded, last night to help myself get to sleep.

Thanks for the info Chateaunole-du-pape.  Just curious, when did you receive your GTY room assignment? (how far ahead of your cruise?)  Thx.

7 minutes ago, lesliew said:

Thanks for the info Chateaunole-du-pape.  Just curious, when did you receive your GTY room assignment? (how far ahead of your cruise?)  Thx.

I did check every other day, and Monday the room was assigned on their website. We are cruising on Friday, so 4-5 days before. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, lesliew said:

We departed the U.S. on Monday evening (19 Jun), and discovered that we'd gotten our cabin assignment upon waking up around an hour before landing in Stockholm on Tuesday. Cruise embarkation was on Friday 23 Jun, so our cabin was assigned somewhere between 3 and 4 days in advance.

• Like 1

Further to this - we successfully did a Facetime Audio call with my parents over Splendor's wifi last night, and this morning, I watched a 3 minute summary of the Rays-Dbacks game with no buffering at all. And then 15 minutes later, I had a hard time loading a simple Apple News story. So there's quite a bit of variability as far as the quality of connection and bandwidth is concerned. Being able to do a Facetime Audio call was a treat, though!