WIFI on Regent Splendor

lesliew

43 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

Just want to clarify something. Are you saying that you don’t need to login to the network to get internet access from anywhere on the ship? If so, that doesn’t sound secure.

Whom are you quoting?

My bad. I did not see the period in the sentence: “No. Login is required regardless of where you are on the ship. “ 😁🤪😱.   Old man syndrome. Glad I asked and you challenged me. I feel better now. My last job was worldwide cyber security responsibility for a major international corporation. I saw a lot of wild stuff going on and I am still paranoid about cyber security.

16 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

My bad. I did not see the period in the sentence: “No. Login is required regardless of where you are on the ship. “ 😁🤪😱.   Old man syndrome. Glad I asked and you challenged me. I feel better now. My last job was worldwide cyber security responsibility for a major international corporation. I saw a lot of wild stuff going on and I am still paranoid about cyber security.

LOL.  Punctuation for the win!! 🙂

• Haha 2

The additional daily charge gives you 4 connections per account. 

In the past have talked to the internet manager (who works for WMS their current internet supplier) who gave us the additional connections gratis.

When Starlink is installed, I am sure their internet pricing will change.  Oceania announce they will give 1 per guest, when this occurs.

On Seabourn, it is one concurrent connection per person. That's a much better approach. (They also sell a premium package which allows multiple devices per person and higher bandwidth.) For one thing, it allows us to message each other when we're in different places on the ship, which is impossible if one person can have a connection and the other can't. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cruiseej said:

it allows us to message each other when we're in different places on the ship, which is impossible if one person can have a connection and the other can't. 

Exactly. I got my husband to use WhatsApp on our last cruise and we found it so useful when onboard the ship.

We are in a penthouse on Regent on our cruise so will have the WiFi for both but useful to know it is only Concierge and above or status if we do future cruises.

• Like 1

When we were on our Splendor cruise in Jan/Feb I was able to be logged on to my wife’s iPad and my iPhone at the same time for the duration of the cruise, no logging in or out. We were in an F1. Just try logging in and see what happens

13 hours ago, Qld13 said:

When we were on our Splendor cruise in Jan/Feb I was able to be logged on to my wife’s iPad and my iPhone at the same time for the duration of the cruise, no logging in or out. We were in an F1. Just try logging in and see what happens

You might be able to log into the wifi network without internet connectivity. In this case, you might be able to message each other over the wifi network.

13 hours ago, Qld13 said:

I was wondering, if one of us logs on with our phone, could the other one 'tether' off of them?  Has anyone tried that?

On 6/22/2023 at 10:35 AM, lesliew said:

I was wondering, if one of us logs on with our phone, could the other one 'tether' off of them?  Has anyone tried that?

Tethering is a function of a cellular signal, if your carrier allows it, not a WiFi signal, so no, that wouldn't work.

I thought the question about tethering was interesting so I was following this thread to see if anyone replied. 

I just disconnected my cell phone from the cellular service (i.e. only connected to home WiFi) and I was able to tether my laptop to my phone. So, at least in my case, tethering works when only connected to WiFi.

2 hours ago, Mystictraveler said:

I thought the question about tethering was interesting so I was following this thread to see if anyone replied. 

I just disconnected my cell phone from the cellular service (i.e. only connected to home WiFi) and I was able to tether my laptop to my phone. So, at least in my case, tethering works when only connected to WiFi.

I think you're right. I just put my iPhone in Airplane Mode (WiFi only, in other words), and was able to get a signal on my MacBook to tether. The only caveat would be to see if the ship's ISP/Satellite would allow that. Maybe someone who takes a cruise in the near future can try and report back?

On 6/23/2023 at 6:50 PM, GMIAC said:

I think you're right. I just put my iPhone in Airplane Mode (WiFi only, in other words), and was able to get a signal on my MacBook to tether. The only caveat would be to see if the ship's ISP/Satellite would allow that. Maybe someone who takes a cruise in the near future can try and report back?

It works with most newer phones.

Going on Splendor on Friday, and have booked a Superior GTY, and can now see we are upgraded to a Concierge, which normally include 4 wifi logins. 

Do we get 4 logins? Or 1?

If we get 4, do we then pay 9.99 USD for upgrading to their "premium" wifi for each login, or 9.99 USD total for all?

Is the wifi okay to do Youtube/Netflix streaming if we have the premium plan?

Last cruise was on Celebrity with Starlink installed, and it was very good for streaming. 

4 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

You should get 4. $9.99 each to upgrade. Barely OK - you don't get more bandwidth when you upgrade, but your data request is put to the front of the line so streaming works (mostly).

Thanks 🙂

We are close to land most of the time, and have a EU data plan, so maybe we should just stick to 4G.