WIFI on Regent Splendor

lesliew

We are in a lower Cat Suite (H) on Splendor.

From what I am reading there is only one wifi connection per suite.

Assuming this is correct, can we purchase another connection?  and what is the approximate cost to do so?

Thank you

LeslieW

4 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Isn't it one connection at a time? I.e., one of you can login, then logout and your partner can use it?  (Sorry, I'm Gold and have more wifi as a benefit so I'm not sure how it works for new customers.)

I believe you’re right Wendy. For some that’s just fine but for others(like my wife and me) having to take turns might lead to marital strife. We’ll be Gold after our next cruise and then we can reevaluate the value proposition. 

I've always seen cruising as a chance to detach myself from technology to some extent.  Twenty years ago that meant "no contact" at all, only a ship's phone # in emergencies.  That was partly because I was an IT professional and it was the only way I could get a real holiday.

I admit to using my first real smartphone to post from the ship, it was fun and kind of a novelty.  But I still have never used my phone to talk to someone while onboard ship, and just check my email and maybe surf to FB once or twice a day, or check on flights perhaps.  About 10 years ago, text messaging took over from the ship's telephone # for emergency contact--SMS is cheap, wherever you are. 

I know on longer cruises there are reasons for doing online banking, for instance, and that would be an issue perhaps. And people who are still working for a living, perhaps they should think of that extra login as a business expense.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Jchisley said:

This is just ridiculous . They know there are two people per cabin . So you either pay $30 a day or only one person can use their phone . I’ve never heard anything like it . Makes me so angry 

It's like that on every cruise line.  On most other cruise lines, depending on special pricing, loyalty rewards, or cabin perks, you have to pay per logon for internet. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, jeb_bud said:

We’ll be Gold after our next cruise and then we can reevaluate the value proposition. 

If you become Gold on that next cruise, they will put you on as Gold from the day you board. I was so happy to turn Gold on a TA so that both of us could be logged into WiFi for the whole cruise!

21 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Isn't it one connection at a time? I.e., one of you can login, then logout and your partner can use it?  (Sorry, I'm Gold and have more wifi as a benefit so I'm not sure how it works for new customers.)

Yes, that's correct.

On 6/14/2023 at 1:35 PM, jeb_bud said:

I know the dollars and cents don’t really add up but that’s a big part of why we have always booked at least Concierge. 

We just did the math for next Spring Trans Atl and for us a Superior suite…same size as Concierge, saved us a thousand bucks even with 14 nights worth of  $30 per day 2nd Wi-Fi charges. We liked the location of our non Concierge better, did not need free room night before cuz we stay on hotel or time share points, did not need earlier booking window for excursions and dining reservations because we have Silver status and we were told you can buy the extra Wi-Fi connection by the day, so for port days we can choose not to spend the money for the extra connection. BTW word is out that when Oceania announces their new “All In” pricing model in July all cabins will get 2 free Wi-Fi connections.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2023 at 3:11 PM, Jchisley said:

This is just ridiculous . They know there are two people per cabin . So you either pay $30 a day or only one person can use their phone . I’ve never heard anything like it . Makes me so angry 

Yeah, even X provides a discrete login for each person in a Retreat suite. And when I took my teenage kids along in an upper suite all 4 of us got our own login, for no extra cost.  All-inclusive is only all-inclusive if it's actually all-inclusive. 

• Like 2

On 6/14/2023 at 10:35 AM, jeb_bud said:

I know the dollars and cents don’t really add up but that’s a big part of why we have always booked at least Concierge. 

Concierge costs way more than $30/day.  🤑

On 6/14/2023 at 12:16 PM, lesliew said:

Agreed!  So that's $300+ for wifi?  Yikes.

We are in Concierge E and probably some of it is included, but $300 for wifi is a bit off the beam in my opinion. I wonder if anyone has addressed this with Regent. If so, I hope they received a better response than I did. 

Are there spots on the ship ( library for example) where one can use WiFi without using cabin log in?

btw, went to Antarctica in 2021 on SS in cheapest cabin… we both had free WiFi and it worked quite well😊

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GMIAC said:

I think the point is it seems that ONE person in the room gets free WiFi. 

Everyone in the room can use the free wifi - just not at once. You get basic booze, not premium. You get basic excursions, not premium. You get basic wifi, not premium. Whatever they are, they are consistent.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2