Live from NCL Spirit 06/21/23-07/05/23 - Alaska B2B Vancouver to Seward to Vancouver

There is a slightly smaller crowd on this cruise. We were told the first one was about 1800 passengers. 

When we asked this morning, we were told they were expecting 1700 passengers. One of the wait staff members told us it was slightly more than 1500 passengers. We heard from several sources about passengers who used NCL air with same day arrival who had flight delays and didn’t make it. Our captain tends to leave all ports at 10 minutes after all aboard and not at or after the sail away time. 

We asked about Latitude members and were told this for counts:

Ambassador - 2

Diamond - 1

Sapphire -27

Platinum -30

i can’t remember the numbers for other levels. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, singleflyer said:

What is Tri-Bond Trivia?

It’s three things that are related. 

For example, 

Surprise, Search and Slumber 

Answer: Party 

Softball, Baseball, Vampire

Answer: Bat

Ice, field, floor

Answer: Hockey 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Seas2mountains said:

As we approached Hubbard Glacier, it started to rain lightly and got foggy. 

A few minutes ago at about 2:30pm, the cruise director said the pilot had been on the ship for about an hour. He said the pilot and captain made the decision to turn around due to the fog. 😢  You can see on cruise mapper that Brilliance of the Seas somehow made it in before our ship. 

We are going to the spa to nap on the heated lounge chairs. It’s the first NCL spa ever to not have chair hogs so far. 😁

IMG_5436.jpeg

IMG_5438.jpeg

Was so disappointed that we didn't make it to the glacier.  Are these Spa thermal heated lounge chairs extra $ or can anyone enjoy them?  

7 hours ago, Seas2mountains said:

It’s three things that are related. 

For example, 

Surprise, Search and Slumber 

Answer: Party 

Softball, Baseball, Vampire

Answer: Bat

Ice, field, floor

Answer: Hockey 

Ohhhhh, I would fail so epically at that trivia! I'm not quick enough to come up with those. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, McKJohnOlip55 said:

Was so disappointed that we didn't make it to the glacier.  Are these Spa thermal heated lounge chairs extra $ or can anyone enjoy them?  

Yes, we are still disappointed about it, too. 

It’s $199/person per week but they may have daily passes available or may be able to prorate it based on the number of days in the cruise  It is expensive for us and a bit of a splurge. Except for yesterday when they were giving tours, it’s bern peaceful and the lounge chairs do get hot. Some people go there for the quiet and scenic area to read books and don’t use the lounge chairs. 

Have a great day in Icy Strait Point. Are you doing any excursions?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Ohhhhh, I would fail so epically at that trivia! I'm not quick enough to come up with those. 

I’m there with you. My husband is always making jokes and he’s the one who can quickly figure these out.  I can help with a few but need time to think about it. 

• Like 2

Hello from beautiful Icy Strait Point. We had a lazy morning as usual by sleeping in a bit and enjoying a leisurely breakfast at Windows. 

We did Tri-Bond trivia but only got 13 correct today while the winners got all 20 correct! 

For general trivia, we got 12 correct and the winners got 14 correct. We were happy as there are two of us and some teams have six people. 

It rained a little this morning but had stopped when we got off the ship. We love ISP as they have wood burning fire pits to make it smell so good. You can see Eagles nesting in the trees as there is such a contrast between the green of the trees and their white heads. 

When we first stopped here in 2015, we had to take a bus through Hoonah and along trails to get to the top to do the zip line which they claim is the longest in the world.  Now, they have a gondola going to the top so we did that for our excursion. It was scenic and fun to do despite the cloudy weather and occasional fog at the top. It was low cost for us with the $50 off excursions for each of us. Otherwise, it is $50 per person if you buy a ticket when off the ship. We did enjoy the views and scenery while in the gondola. 

We walked along the ocean and enjoyed seeing some occasional marine mammal in the water or birds or eagles singing and flying. There were some fawns with their Mom by one gondola. 

After a tasty lunch at Garden Cafe, it was time for the hot tub followed by a quiet and relaxing time in the spa. 

We are a little behind as we haven’t had a drink yet. We are loving our time on the Spirit! 

IMG_5467.jpeg

IMG_5469.jpeg

IMG_5475.jpeg

IMG_5486.jpeg

IMG_5491.jpeg

IMG_5492.jpeg

IMG_5484.jpeg

• Like 2

The cost for the unlimited rides on the mountain top gondola in ISP by applying the FAS and FAS+ $50 credits and Latitudes discount was $16.15 each. 

Hiking boots were helpful as the trails were wet dirt with gravel. We were comfortable in a T-shirt, fleece jacket and light rain jacket. 

• Like 1

We had a fabulous and delicious dinner at Taste. We might cancel some specialty dining reservations as the food and variety of menu choices at Taste has been so good and the service has also been excellent. 

My husband ordered the Bruschetta and Waldorf salad for appetizers while I ordered cheese ravioli and Pear and Gorgonzola salad. Wow! They were all sooooo good!!

For entrees, my husband ordered the BBQ Mixed grill with ribs, chicken and a bratwurst. I ordered the trout. Everything was amazing and we were lucky to get a window seat. We were too full to order desserts.

Forgot to get a photo of the bruschetta and pretend the ravioli photo shows 3 pierces and not two half pieces. Lol.  

It was soooo good we will likely cancel one or two specialty dining meals to come back for the menu selection, amazing food and excellent service. 

IMG_5503.jpeg

IMG_5504.jpeg

IMG_5505.jpeg

IMG_5506.jpeg

IMG_5507.jpeg

Tonight we are on cloud 9 watching the beautiful Alaskan scenery as we cruise from Icy Strait Point to Skagway with no fog.  We have some occasional rain showers but also some blue sky patches and sunshine. 

We are in Spinnaker Lounge for B12 and the wonderful scenery. 

IMG_5509.jpeg

IMG_5512.jpeg

• Like 4

On 6/29/2023 at 11:17 PM, Seas2mountains said:

We were back at Cagney’s tonight and ordered a few different items than usual. Oysters Rockefeller and Crab Cake. Both are recommended. 

I got the cedar plank Steelhead trout but it was not as good as the salmon last night at Onda. I know Cagney’s specializes in steaks and I would not recommend Steelhead trout.

We often order the grilled fisherman's platter at Cagney's.  It's a variety of shrimp, scallops, and other seafood and we've never been disappointed with it.

• Like 3

On 6/30/2023 at 7:57 AM, cruiseny4life said:

We have played tri-bond trivia on at least a dozen cruises.  We may have come close, but I don't recall ever winning.  There always seems to be at least one smartypants in the crowd who gets a perfect score.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Traveling Man said:

We often order the grilled fisherman's platter at Cagney's.  It's a variety of shrimp, scallops, and other seafood and we've never been disappointed with it.

We'll have to try that next time we're in Cagney's. Thanks!

One more martini ...Rum Cake martini 🍸 ... Spinnaker's.

😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Traveling Man said:

We have had the same experience with the fisherman’s platter as one of us orders the filet and the other orders the fisherman’s platter and we share both. It’s been good both times we have had it at Cagney’s this cruise. 

I do have a photo of it in post 221. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

We'll have to try that next time we're in Cagney's. Thanks!

One more martini ...Rum Cake martini 🍸 ... Spinnaker's.

😁

Thank you.  The rum cake martini is on the list for today as it is also the martini drink of the day. I still need to try the Pistachio martini, too. 

• Like 2