Just off Star...disappointed

WakeView4Us

41 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Why are you cancelling the VIVA cruise? Viva is nowhere near the Star … she (Viva) is 22 years younger than the Star. We have recently gone on the Spirit as did YVR and she was far superior to the Star. Star is our least fave ship, but I cannot understand why you would cancel your Viva cruise based on YVR’s experience on the STAR. YVR went on the Jewel back in May and she (Jewel) was as good as the Spirit.

So, why the Viva? 

We’re going on Viva in Nov.

To clarify, @basktchic is not cancelling based on my experiences. If you read the entire thread, which this poster initiated, they had their own experiences on the Star.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

To clarify, @basktchic is not cancelling based on my experiences. If you read the entire thread, which this poster initiated, they had their own experiences on the Star.  

Correct,  we cancelled Viva because of the continued decline in quality and service with the Star being the final straw.

• Like 2

I'm going to chime in, admittedly without reading the entire thread.

We did Iceland on the Star last summer. Food was not good.  At all.  Fast forward to 3 weeks ago on Spirit in Alaska.  Insanely different. Food was really very good. Not sure how this happens.  But reading threads, Star has a food problem.

We also sailed the Star last summer and we were happy with the food and didn't have any problems or concerns with our meals. I easily gained 10 pounds! We ate well and enjoyed everything we ate.  I only issue I do remember was when I went to order the Prime Rib at Cagney's. The waiter told me they've been having problems with sourcing and had to order the meat through a different distributor - and passengers had been unhappy with the quality of the Prime Rib so he suggested I might want to order something else. I took his advice and ordered the Rib Eye instead and it was great.

I just wanted to share this as food experiences can be subjective. Others we traveled with also felt they ate well also on our sailing.  My disclaimer is that it's been a year since we sailed on the Star, and I definitely can't comment on any recent concerns.  I also would never take away from other experiences - I just wanted to share ours as well.

Edited by ljrfrm
  • Like 3