With Apologies - Extra Tipping for us regular/lower class passengers

Dreamscaper

On 6/29/2023 at 3:39 AM, dides said:

We also try and make a note of any crew members names if we received great service and mention them in the post-cruise survey in the hope that it helps in their performance reviews (and chance of being promoted).Just another form of gratitude. 

Precisely.

Maybe controversial, but I’m from the UK, we’re not into this “entitled” tipping culture. Personally, I would do this:

- Leave the cruise to deal with the auto gratuities that I have already paid.

- For staff who has gone over and beyond and make things special: extra tips

- For average service ie people just doing their job: none extra

- For bad service: I’ll ask to deduct the auto tipping amount and will give reasons.

We are couple who probably qualify as "regular" cruisers--and we disagree profoundly on tipping.  I like to give very generous tips to those who have given great service, which generally includes at a minimum our cabin steward, primary waiter and at least one bartender.  My partner, on the other hand, resents the auto-tips and NEVER gives extra.  As a result, I bring extra cash and slip it to various crew members behind his back.  I also fill out the comment cards for our favourite crew members--and my partner is fine with that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, firsttimecruiser88 said:

Maybe controversial, but I’m from the UK, we’re not into this “entitled” tipping culture. Personally, I would do this:

- Leave the cruise to deal with the auto gratuities that I have already paid.

- For staff who has gone over and beyond and make things special: extra tips

- For average service ie people just doing their job: none extra

- For bad service: I’ll ask to deduct the auto tipping amount and will give reasons.

Exactly my approach too👍

Just returned home from a B2B on the Majestic.  We always give extra to our room stewards on each cruise as well as our MDR wait team.  I’m old school—I write each a thank you note and enclose cash.  I also take a picture of their name tags and mention them in the post-cruise survey.

I also mention outstanding service by crew members during the cruise via Crew Chat on the medallion app.  My comments are shared with their supervisors and then with them.  I was thanked numerous times during our cruise for mentioning them in the comments.  One server on the Lido deck told us that he read the comments we made to his mother at home—“my family thanks you for your kind words.”  He told us his name was on the ‘employee dashboard’ for providing excellent service for all staff to see.

Throughout our two weeks on board, I made comments about crew that went out of their way to enhance our cruising experience—the Lido server who remembered our drinks and had them ready for us every day; the bartender at Vines who gave us great advice about wine tasting; the maintenance staff who promptly and professionally fixed a plumbing issue in our cabin; the waiter who would arrange special desserts for me (I have dietary restrictions)—just to name a few.

It seems like such a small gesture, but please take time to highlight outstanding service during your cruise as well as after!  

• Like 4

On 6/29/2023 at 1:35 AM, mnocket said:

There is absolutely no reason for you to feel you must, or should, tip over and above the standard gratuity charge.  It is not expected and certainly not required.  If someone gives you outstanding service that goes above and beyond what is expected, you may want to give them something a little extra, but that is totally up to you and is the exception. Some people still hand tip envelopes to everyone who provided regular service, but they are a small minority (this was the standard practice before cruise lines implemented a daily gratuity charge).  Despite what some may say, routine tipping above the included gratuity charge is not the norm.

+1 Part of the appeal of cruising in general and on Princess in particular to me is not carrying wads of cash around for extra tips and not having to sign papers for every drink I get. Given that, we absolutely do tip extra at the end of the cruise, but that would be for people who provided above and beyond service to us and it is not required at all. There have been cruises where we did not tip extra (not Princess) because we were not happy with service levels.

To answer your question, based on the reaction we get from crew the extra tipping is not common. Additionally, there are other ways to thank a crew member for outstanding service. You can fill out comment cards (available at guest services) with your compliments. From what I have been told, such mentions count for non-monetary rewards (days off etc.)

Just read the last post before mine, CrewChat is great alternative to comment cards! Thank you @charliedarlymple!

Edited by nattie
add info