Japan Pocket Wifi

ddpe

Has anyone tried using the pocket wifi on cruise ships in Japan?  They look like a much better deal than the cruise ship pricing, I just don't know how far the wifi signal can actually go  - only in port or even a little from the port at sea?  

• Like 1

Depending on weather, sea conditions, and countless other variables, shore-based wireless signals typically reach out as far as the horizon - which is about 15 miles.

Many Japan cruises spend a lot of time within that 15 mile range.

When Japanese passengers sail on a ship around Japan, you can always see them at the outside rail with their mobile telephones. I do the same.

• Like 1

The last time we were in Japan in 2019, we rented a pocket wifi from Ninja Wifi based on a review from TokyoCheapo:  https://tokyocheapo.com/business/internet/rent-wifi-router-japan/

It worked very well for us for our land trip.  My only issue was that the devices only have enough battery power to last part of the day.  So I had to either turn ours off to conserve power, charge it while out using a external battery pack/charger, or charge it while taking a midday break (or a combo of the three).  Apart from that, the device we rented was small and light and provided great coverage throughout the country (not just major centres like Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, etc).  

It's generally cheaper to book the rental ahead versus renting it on the spot and/or maybe search the internet for a discount code.  We booked ahead and picked it up at Narita airport.  However, I understand they can also be delivered (eg to a hotel for a fee?).  We saw multiple companies having booths in the airport.  Note, at the time, Ninja had two booths and we went to the wrong one (north vs south locations??) and we had to hoof it to the other both to pick it up.  

We dropped it off at a booth at Haneda airport on landside.  Just give yourself enough time to find the booth because they can sometimes be located in somewhat hard to find locations IMO.  

Don't lose the device or accessories as they'll obviously charge for replacement.  IIRC, you can buy insurance to cover losing the wifi device or accessories.  We did not buy it.  

Not apple to apples but we just used a third party data sim for my phone when we recently cruised out of Italy to Greece last month.  I was surprised how much signal I was able to get when sailing, particularly any time land was in sight.  I didn't need Internet access all the time so it hit the sweet spot for me.  And the pocket wifi's are basically a data sim in a device with wifi hotspot capabilities so hopefully you will get similar results if not better sailing around Japan.  

• 4 weeks later...