Things to do at civitavecchia cruise port

worldlady

10 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

In a successful attempt to avoid some work I should be doing, I've been digging around on the city of Civitavecchia's web site and found some possibly interesting things to see and do in the city. 

Brava!  I think you've made the most out of Civitavecchia's attractions.

Being the Rome enthusiast that I am, however, I can't resist a couple of additional comments.

You provide information on the Taurine Baths and the Archaeological Museum. Yet I venture to guess that many of the cruisers who say they have "done" Rome have never ventured to visit the wonderful Baths of Caracalla there. The poor remains of the Taurine Baths (yes, I've been there) cannot compare in any way to these magnificent baths which are the best preserved and HUGEST I have ever seen -- and I've visited many throughout the Roman empire. Not only that, but the cultural administrators have done an excellent job of offering enhancements: there's a very good audio tour and also a "virtual reality" experience that really lets your imagination see the baths as they would have been. Bonus points: there is also a Mithraeum on the grounds.

As for the Archaeological Museum in Civitavecchia, again it suffers badly in comparison to either the Capitoline Museum or the branch of the Museo Nazionale (Palazzo Massimo alle Terme) that is located just across from Termini station. Many people visit the Vatican museum and assume it's the best game in town. In terms of ancient archaeological finds, it isn't.

Either one of these great museums is easily reached on your own by taking a train from Civitavecchia and getting off at Termini or (for the Museo Capitolino), getting off the train at Ostiense station, then taking the adjacent metro two stops to Colosseo.

(It is also easy to reach the Baths of Caracalla using the train to Ostiense, then metro to the Circo Massimo stop, which is the stop before Colosseo.)

I must add my unqualified support to Cruisemom's post.  Over the years we have been outspoken about not being fans of Civitavecchia (although we have spent a few nights in the town).   So let us be very blunt.  Rome is a world-class city that can compete with anyplace for its variety of places to see and enjoy. Civitavecchia is simply a so-so port town!  Perhaps that seems harsh, but it is reality.  Yes, DW and I can spend a day in Civitavecchia, have a nice long lunch, stroll along the water, etc.  And we can also stroll along the Schuylkill River in Philadelphia (and hope to not be mugged).  But we would rather be in Rome, enjoying a cappuccino at Piazza Navona, visiting the Borghese Gardens (and Museum), enjoying the ruins, etc. etc.  When it comes to Civitavecchia, we only go there when we need to embark (or disembark) on a ship, and we try to limit our visit to as little time as possible.  

When folks tell me things like "I spent 2 days in Rome and have seen it all" I just smile and think, "how sad."  Cities like Rome, Paris, New York, etc. are worthy of long visits.  Folks are limited by their own naivete and lack of homework!   After more than 50 years of extensive world travel, we have never tired of places like Rome.

Hank