Shore Excursion Credit

Californian

I want to book an excursion using the Shore Excursion Credit I received on a promotion.  When I go to pay, it does not allow me to use onboard credit.  I only have a choice of credit card or paypal.  Has anyone been successful in using this credit prior to sailing?  My travel agent says I can only use it when I get onboard.  However, by that time, the excursion could be sold out.  Any suggestions??

I booked an excursion on the cruise we’re on right now, charged to my credit card when I booked it.  I got on the cruise and noticed I was charged to my onboard account and when I inquired at the shore excursion desk he said if you have OBC your credit card won’t be charged as you have credit on your account.  Hope  this helps

Diane 

Edited by PrincessDano

Promotional credit (from a TA) can't be used pre-cruise.  But we have found that excursions booked and paid for with OBC don't actually get charged until onboard - they credit the OBC and then bill each excursion to the account.  Our experience with using a credit card is that it is charged immediately and the excursion doesn't appear in the onboard folio.

OP - buy the excursion now with a credit card.  The OBC will appear in your account on the second day and can be used for any onboard charges, like drinks, spa, gratuities or excursions.  Your alternative is to wait and book onboard.  While excursions can sell out there may be cancellations onboard.  Prices don't seem to increase much on Princess onboard.

Edited by LeeW
more