First cruise from Southampton in December - how bad are the seas?

RBrowny

Booked a cruise a week before cruise and we sail from Southampton. This is the first cruise we are doing that's not in the summer, so I am wondering what the seas are like and if it will get very shaky.

This will be the first time going to Northern Europe on a cruise (Hamburg, Brugge, Le Havre, Rotterdam) has anyone done these places, if so, any recommendations on things to do other than the markets.

Thanks!

Edited by RBrowny

11 hours ago, Meander Ingwa said:

La Havre. Bayeaux museum and the tapestry or Rouen and the cathedral there.  I would choose the Tapestry with only time for one but both are historic

Brugge.  Stunningly beautiful town to walk about.  Canal boat rides to see sights.  

In La Havre I think we might go to Honfleur as Paris is too far away. Rouen will be good, just FAR away.

Brugge is amazing, been before, my Mum hasn't - so looking forward to that

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2023 at 5:51 PM, Glencraigs said:

The answer to your question about the condition of the sea....flat calm, raging storm or anything in between. It's Britain we don't have bad weather, just inappropriate clothing.

On 7/14/2023 at 5:58 PM, MBP&O2/O said:

At that time of the year and in that area, the weather and the seas can be brutal, just be prepared for anything.

Thank you both. I'm less worried than I probably should be, but imagine it to be quite rough regardless

Only two weeks back from a cruise that went up the North Sea from Southampton and we actually experienced pretty rough conditions going out during the sea day (yes, I did witness people randomly being sick). Sadly it was on the gala night and it kind of undermined the sense of occasion. Even the crew told is was the roughest it had been in a while. And worse still we couldn't actually make into our first port and just had to sail on. 

The good news was that on the return via the same route it was like a mill pond and totally calm with lovely weather so as suggested, I think being ready for anything is not a bad idea.  

After being really seasick on our first ever cruise , out of Southampton in December 2012, I now always carry seasick tablets and I wear those pressure point wrist bands.  The combination seems to work, so advise you to be prepared for anything, as others have suggested. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2023 at 6:24 AM, wineoclock said:

Do you any recommend any particular tablets @sleepingcat

Not really, I just buy what they have in my local pharmacy. I m just looking at the packaging of the last ones I bought over the counter.  They are Stugeron 15.

they make you drowsy, but I think that is true for all of them.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Snaxmuppet
On 7/18/2023 at 11:27 AM, RBrowny said:

Thank you both. I'm less worried than I probably should be, but imagine it to be quite rough regardless

It might be rough but cruise ships are pretty good at riding the seas and yes, you can get seasick but it normally doesn't feel scary... just uncomfortable. The stabilizers are excellent.

I love it! I like the way the ship can rock me to sleep. I don't get seasick so the roughness isn't really more of a problem than keeping my drink on the table!

• 2 weeks later...