Dance cruise

Sugar&Buddy

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cunard would certainly be a better choice than a fully American cruise line. (It's disputed how authentically British Cunard is.) But for a dance cruise, don't get your hopes up. The Orchestras are mediocre at best, with a limited playlist (a lot of Quickstep). If you're used to an American dance studio, the floors are not large at all, Cunard stopped advertising that a decade ago. Strict tempo is a toss-up, sometimes not much scheduled and conflicting with meals. A few months ago somebody posted a picture of dancing on board. One couple seemed to be doing Argentine Tango- I've never heard AT on Cunard. The rest looked to be just stumbling around and drunken flailing. Pretty pathetic.

Cunard's newest ship Queen Anne is still months away from sailing, but the speculation about dancing isn't hopeful.

Cool! I was thinking about the same sort of thing. My faves are WCS, country round dances, and can hold my own in basic ECS, cha cha, NC2Step, & simple waltz. I'm oddly starting to like line dancing since it's 'solo'. On my recent NCL cruise, I got 1/2 a song of ECS in as my only partner dance on the cruise!  

So, for NCL Encore, there were two spots with small dance floors: Sugarcane lounge and the Social (disco).

I cruised with Seabourn a long way back and I recall that they had a very decent dance floor and they actually encourage some social partner dancing. They offered a dance lesson at some point. The image below is not how I specifically remember on my ship (Sojourn), but it is indicative and seems to have a good surface.

https://www.theluxurycruisereview.com/nightlife/seabourn-odyssey-nightlife/

seabourn-odyssey-nightlife-1-1920x465.jp

I describe myself as bronze in Standard, silver in Latin, ISTD syllabus. I use DVIDA for Rhythm, there is considerable overlap. I don't do Smooth for a number of reasons, especially floorcraft on a crowded floor (which Cunard can be).

As a general rule, the more expensive the ship, the bigger the disappointment. Several ships have decent facilities but little interest from passengers, so not much is scheduled.. Organising your own group can get tricky, especially booking a room with an adequate floor. The ship can also get picky over music licensing issues.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...