Food walking tour in San Diego

Sandyrella

Can anyone recommend a good food walking tour in San Diego?

There are quite a few listed on Viator but I'm wondering which itinerary is best.  Little Italy, Gaslamp Quarter, Old Town?

Any insight would be appreciated!

I personally wouldn't waste my time in Old Town.  I would expect a tour there is full of at best average Mexican restaurants.

Of the remaining two, I would say that I might do Little Italy as it would have a slightly more local vibe than the Gaslamp which is the heart of the downtown tourist /  entertainment area.  

Do the tours list the restaurants involved?  That would be key.

I second Little Italy.  You could do your own tour by just stopping in at the places that look good to you.  A small plate here, a small plate there type of "do your own" tour.  I love Filippi's Pizza Grotto.  Order a small pizza or sandwich.  Also, Princess Pub & Grille, loved it!  There are so many restaurants on India Street that you really could have a blast just walking and stopping in at any of the establishments.  Don't forget to save room for a "sweet treat" stop.

In fact, any of the three areas you mentioned will be so much fun.  I think you would have the most fun doing your own tour.  San Diego is such an amazing place to visit.  Good luck!!

I agree the food in Old Town is not the best Mexican, but I think it’s a fun place to visit for tourists.  But would place Little Italy above it, as others have. I think you could do it yourself, but since so many places are sit down and counter service, you might get a fuller experience with a setup done by a walking tour where you can still easily/cheaply/quickly sample smaller portions of main dishes.  Enjoy!

Thank-you for all of the great suggestions.  We have a pretty long day in San Diego (8am to 10 pm), so we may end up doing Little Italy for lunch on our own and then do a the Brothels, Bites and Booze tour later in the day.  I'm not against day drinking but would prefer to start an bit later in the day 😉

Question....is La Jolla worth a visit since we have quite a bit of time in this port?  

Edit to add that we really enjoy organized walking tours as a way of learning something about where we are but also for the social aspect of meeting new people 🙂

Edited by Sandyrella

19 hours ago, Sandyrella said:

Question....is La Jolla worth a visit since we have quite a bit of time in this port?  

I would save La Jolla for if/when you come back to SD for a long weekend. It’s pretty sea cliff areas and there is some caves to explore, seaside viewing and nice restaurants and shops to stroll around.  But to be it does not stand out as a must-do for a one-day visit.  It’s also a 15 (or more) min trip each way from the cruise port to downtown La Jolla 

• Like 2