Has anyone been on the Portofino to Cinque Terre Seabourn Excursion?

AlexsDogPound

36 minutes ago, AlexsDogPound said:

I've looked on the Cruise Critic Ports of Call and haven't been able to find any information. Thanks in advance.

Yes, we have.  

To begin, this was the second time we visited the Cinque Terre.  The first time we were alone doing a car trip through Tuscany in the month of April.  We managed to walk along the trail for the distance of three towns, stopping in each town.  On the way back we had lunch in a picturesque cliff side restaurant.  It was a lovely, breathtaking experience.  

Not so on our second visit.  That time we took a Seabourn excursion.  To be fair, that excursion was in August, the height of the tourist season.  We thought this would be a good opportunity to visit the other two towns which were offered on the ship’s excursion.  Unfortunately, we were herded on a public ferry and then tried to follow the guide through the crowds.  Needless to say, we couldn’t even hear her or adequately see the sights.  It was not the type of experience we had the first time.  

All that said, if you have never been there, it’s worth the visit.  If you are going during the summer season I would take the ferry on your own and see the towns at your own pace.  Those passengers who did it on their own had a much better experience.  

We enjoy cruising a lot, but some things are best done separately from a cruise.  If at all possible Cinque Terre is better done on a land based trip of multiple days whether you can walk or not.

We were just on a Seabourn cruise in June that stopped in Portovenere, and we took a Cinque Terre tour. There were two offered: one by public ferry, one by chartered boat just for Seabourn passengers. We took the latter.

It should have been better than it was. The sound system on the boat didn't work great, so it was hard to hear to tour guides on the boat. The upper deck was outdoors and had great views, but the lower deck indoors was not as easy to see out — and unfortunately the boast was packed full. Worse, they should have said that people on top on the way out needed to be on the lower level on the way back, and visa versa — but they didn't. So many people were stuck on the inside lower deck both ways. 

The short stops in the three towns were okay, but we found them overrun by tourists, and not the charming, picturesque towns we had envisioned. In the end, I'm glad we got to see some of Cinque Terre, and I'm glad we took the excursion — but it wasn't the outstanding experience we had thought it would be. 

Edited by cruiseej
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, cruiseej said:

The short stops in the three towns were okay, but we found them overrun by tourists, and not the charming, picturesque towns we had envisioned. 

You must go back when you can stay a few days and avoid the cruise crowds because Cinque Terre is truly charming and picturesque, but especially after the cruise visitors have left the area. I was smitten by our visit there in fall 2019 and can't wait to return!