Iceland - Northern ports vs Southern ports - experiences / recommendations

robertmartha

Looking at '24 sailings to and from Iceland on Sojurn.

Sailings either do 3 northern ports or 3 southern ports.

This would be our first time visiting Iceland.

Thoughts - recommendations - preferences.... for those who have sailed around Iceland?

thanks all !

If there's an itinerary with a stop at Akureyri, that would be a big plus because you can take an excursion to Godafoss waterfall from there.

On the other hand, although Reykjavik is a nice city, your time might better be spent going for an itinerary without it if you're more interested in seeing the dramatic landscape of Iceland and will be limited to three stops.

The other small towns that SB visits are quaint, with gorgeous natural surroundings and are nice to walk around.

If you think this might be the only time you visit Iceland, consider a cruise that circumnavigates the island with six stops, as SB sometimes offers.

• Thanks 1

TY skyblue !

Yes our first visit - but hopefully not our last 😉

Actually now leaning toward sailing out of Reykavik and doing the 3 northern ports and then a port in Scotland ending in Dover and then spending a few days in London. This would be the first week of September so hopefully a bit less crowded (then July and August) and hopefully the dreaded midges I have read about will be less annoying?!?!

• 4 weeks later...

Truthfully, the only way to see all the splendor of Iceland is by land.  May of the crise ports are small villages far from the sites you would otherwise see on a land tour. Just MHO.  Also highly recommend a short stay at the Retreat at the Blue Lagoon.

We were just on the Venture and stopped at a number of locations around the island (Grundarfjörður, Húsavík, Seyðisfjörður, Djupivogur, and Heimaey). I would consider only Heimaey a true must-see or would-definitely-return location. The others were generally nice, don't get me wrong, but not overly memorable.

I have heard that Akureyri/Godafoss is a must-see, but unfortunately given our last minute scramble of an itinerary (we were supposed to go to Scoreby Sund in Greenland but couldn't due to sea ice conditions) we had to drop it due to port conflicts.

• Like 1

I'll be able to chime in about a month from now.  We are doing a full 7 day "circumnavigation" of Iceland starting on Sept 2 on the Windstar ship Star Pride.  

Connection to this Seabourn forum:  The Star Pride used to be a Seabourn ship but has been stretched and renovated.

• Like 2