Teens in separate room?

NPowell

We are booking a cruise for a family of 4 with 2 teenagers (15 and 13) and are planning on getting 2 separate staterooms with the intent of the teens having their own room (across the hall, not adjoining).  I don't believe cruise lines allow us to book this way, so we'd have to have one parent booked in each room.  Has anyone done this before?  If so, how do you manage the key cards?  The key cards will have our beverage packages on it, so we can't swap cards with the kids.  just not sure how this will work logistically.  Thanks!

This is cruise line dependent, so best to check with your line.  Lots of parents have booked one adult in each room and then gone to reception to change out key cards, but the drink package complicates this.  Princess allowed me to book a room for my underage teen because there's a parent on board, but each line will have their own rules.  

Princess is the same -- go to guest services and get your medallions switched to allow access (for the parents at least) to both rooms. On NCL we got a key card for each one. The lines are used to this, it's very common. 🙂

(This is actually why we've been cruising so much with Princess... the medallion system lets me keep an eye on my kids from afar, which is precious for my peace of mind.)

Royal lets you have kids in own room (next to or across) if you call or use a TA.

But if you just want to book online, also very easy to get more door cards. They can't be used for charging.