comparison of tram/gondola rides

gartam

Trying to decide which tram/gondola to do--Alyeska, Goldbelt in Juneau, or the mountain top in Icy Strait. From info I have found, Icy Strait may not be worth the money, but maybe it would be if combined with the tram ride at the top. For anyone who has done more than 1, which would you recommend?

The main attraction of the gondolas is the view. Depends on what you want. Junuea mostly city harbor and mts. ISP mostly water and mts. Alyeska mountains all around. Alyeska has new walkway over 600' valley and walks are $150 p/p. Alyeska not easy to get to like the other two. Here is the view from Juneau and ISP. TheSnowCloud Juneau area Webcams. Check youtube for tram rides to get more info. Try for the newest personal ones and not the ad ones. 

Are you staying at the resort at Alyeska?  If so, I think the tram is free (at least used to be) so it would take it - I enjoyed the tram ride up.    If you are not staying there, I am not sure I would make a trip there for the tram however.   The resort is very nice, and I am glad we spent a night there.

The Juneau tram was crowded, but we enjoyed it too.   At the top, you can then continue on walking trails even higher up for fantastic views.   Tram was crowded but the trails at the top were not crowded at all.

the tram is Juneau is the best way to get up the mountain . Most people just look around than come back down . But if you walk the trails up the mountain you feel like your in the " sound of Music " The walk up the mountain is easy . Its one of the highlights of the trip . 

• Like 2

On 7/28/2023 at 7:15 AM, gartam said:

Trying to decide which tram/gondola to do--Alyeska, Goldbelt in Juneau, or the mountain top in Icy Strait. From info I have found, Icy Strait may not be worth the money, but maybe it would be if combined with the tram ride at the top. For anyone who has done more than 1, which would you recommend?

Just do both.  The costs are minimal.  Personally, I like the view from Alyeska better, but the ride up in ISP was a lot of fun and very relaxing.  

If you do the stop at Alyeska in Girdwood, it is NOT free.  It is free if you hike up but IMHO that hike is aggressive and you are exposed to the elements so you must carry water.  You just can't do a quick drive by for Girdwood.  The tram ride and the further hike up to where the glacier is commands at least 1.5 to 2 hours.  If you want to just take a tram, then do the Juneau tram.  It has nice views of the harbor and there is a shorter easier hike up top which I do recommend.  

• Like 1