Seattle Safety Concerns

Hercules67

14 minutes ago, CoW mAn said:

I never said you suggested that. Wow people keep putting words in my mouth on this post for some reason. I was just answering the OP's original question and people keep saying I'm doing something else. I have no problem with you or SCX22. Y'all can think whatever you want about Seattle and do whatever you think you need to do to keep yourself safe, I really don't care and I never told or suggested you do otherwise. I just think the OP should keep their hotel booking, that's ALL I'm saying, and that's all I'm going to say despite some people's efforts to the contrary.

I'm sorry about your car, I didn't know, but frankly that's not enough to keep me away from Seattle, Portland, or anywhere else; that's my personal choice but y'all are free to make completely different choices. Avoid places, keep crossing the street, stay in at night - it's cool with me. I'm just recommending the OP not be afraid to travel. Beyond that, I really have nothing to say on the subject. I think the issues you and SCX22 have aren't with anything I ACTUALLY said

Re read your reply in post #19.  We were reacting to that.  The gist of it was you don’t feel unsafe in Seattle.  No mention of not cancelling a hotel stay.

1 minute ago, SCX22 said:

Re read your reply in post #19.  We were reacting to that.  The gist of it was you don’t feel unsafe in Seattle.  No mention of not cancelling a hotel stay.

Sorry, I thought the implication was obvious. I meant to say "I've never felt unsafe in Seattle so don't cancel your hotel stay in Seattle out of fear it is unsafe". I thought the second half was implied. My bad for not being more explicit

It seems that your thesis is I said I don't feel unsafe and y'all think I should feel unsafe. I wish I could accommodate you but I remain unconvinced. I feel bad about the auto crime but I don't think that's enough to make me afraid and I'm sorry but I'd prefer my feelings not be up for conversion. I take precautions, I feel they are sufficient, but it was the OP asking for advice on how to feel, not me.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CoW mAn said:

Sorry, I thought the implication was obvious. I meant to say "I've never felt unsafe in Seattle so don't cancel your hotel stay in Seattle out of fear it is unsafe". I thought the second half was implied. My bad for not being more explicit

It seems that your thesis is I said I don't feel unsafe and y'all think I should feel unsafe. I wish I could accommodate you but I remain unconvinced. I feel bad about the auto crime but I don't think that's enough to make me afraid and I'm sorry but I'd prefer my feelings not be up for conversion. I take precautions, I feel they are sufficient, but it was the OP asking for advice on how to feel, not me.

I agree with not cancelling the hotel stay, refer back to my post in reply #4.  If you have to be in Seattle, then you need a place to stay.  There are however areas to be avoided, like in any big city.  It's just reply #19 came off as hasn't happened to me therefore safety concerns are unfounded.

I live on Capitol Hill, and I feel safe, but I don’t hang out where the nightclubs are.  The shooting on Capitol Hill all seem to happen early morning (2-4AM) with young people who are too drunk/high to use any social skills to solve their problems.

Downtown you’ll see some sketchy people on 3rd Ave, but there isn’t anything to see on 3rd.  Will you probably see some drug deals and people doing drugs, yes, it’s a strong possibility.  But honestly, if you’re a ‘I want to be comfortably back to my hotel or having a nightcap at 10PM’ type of person, you’ll be fine.

Here are the top 20 cities for murder rates, source: https://worldpopulationreview.com/us-city-rankings/cities-with-most-murders

1. St. Louis, MO (69.4)
  2. Baltimore, MD (51.1)
  3. New Orleans, LA (40.6)
  4. Detroit, MI (39.7)
  5. Cleveland, OH (33.7)
  6. Las Vegas, NV (31.4)
  7. Kansas City, MO (31.2)
  8. Memphis, TN (27.1)
  9. Newark, NJ (25.6)
  10. Chicago, IL (24)
  11. Cincinnati, OH (23.8)
  12. Philadelphia, PA (20.2)
  13. Milwaukee, WI (20.0)
  14. Tulsa, OK (18.6)
  15. Pittsburgh, PA (18.4)
  16. Indianapolis, IN (17.7)
  17. Louisville, KY (17.5)
  18. Oakland, CA (17.1)
  19. Washington D.C. (17.0)
  20. Atlanta, GA (16.7)

Some of Seattle’s best restaurants are on Capitol Hill, and I hope that you’d be open to try them. 

• Like 4

Seattle has a high rate of property crime, but not violent crime.  I've had a package or two stolen from my front door, but that's about it. A good trip when visiting a large city, however, is to make sure you have nothing visible in your car that would tempt someone from doing a smash and grab. Granted, this has happened to us once, where my husband's wallet fell out onto the drivers seat...but this happened in a suburban gym parking lot in a very safe part of town...New Jersey. So if you're driving in a rental or your own, put everything away. That includes the odd coins that might be in your cup tray, or a phone charger (signalling that it might be worth smashing your window for your phone).

I've lived in Columbus, OH and Philadelphia before moving here, so my view of "comfortable" and "safe" is a lot different than someone who has never lived in a big city. For me, Seattle is a very safe city. There are many blocks of both of my previous cities where I would neverever  visit, where as in Seattle, I tell many to avoid 3rd Ave, but way different than "what ever you do, don't visit 3rd ave".

I worked in the Belltown neighborhood, and yes, I reccomend being aware of your surroundings, working on your best 'I know what I'm doing face' and other such medium-to-big city sized recommendations.

Bad things do happen, unfortunately, but they're happening everywhere, and you just need to be vigilant. I understand, however, the nervousness people feel. During the pandemic where I didn't need to go in often, the local news definitely made me skittish the first few times returning to the office. It took time for me to ignore the noise and just walk with confidence.

• Like 3

I took four women to Seattle in July. One is Asian. We walked at least five miles on the day before our cruise. No one bothered us and many were very helpful and nice. Just do your exploring in daylight, pay attention to what is around you and have a great time. Enjoy your cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at the Mayflower Park downtown and thought nothing of it. A beautiful hotel in one of the most welcoming and diverse cities I've ever seen. I grew up in Los Angeles and live in suburban Washington, DC. Seattle isn't very different from any other large American city. I was out walking and taking photos at 8:00 p.m. The location was convenient to Pike Place Market, Nordstrom for dinner, Bartell Drugs for anything from snacks to travel accessories and the Monorail station.

• Like 1