Van Gogh Museum Amsterdam

skatie

We will be in Amsterdam on the Prima on Sept 15.  I’m not a museum enthusiast but the Van Gogh paintings and his story intrigues me.  I know I would need to purchase tickets in advance as they sell out so I’m wondering if, for a “casual observer”, would it be worth it to spend just an hour in the museum and then carrying on to tour the rest of Amsterdam?  With limited time I want to make sure I see as much as I can.   If we visit museum my plan would be to take taxi from ship directly to museum and be there around opening and then work our way back on foot and see the canals, and different neighborhoods and experience Amsterdam culture.  

Edited by skatie

Just prior to Covid, we had a three day break in Amsterdam, staying in the Museum Quarter. The plan was to visit one museum each day - the Rijksmuseum, Stedelijk and the Van Gogh. It worked and meant we could take our time at each.  That said, I think with the limited time available to the OP, the plan of making a brief visit and then meandering back on foot is a good use of time. Better an hour of Van Gogh than no Van Gogh at all. 

We enjoyed all three museums but I enjoyed the Stedelijk most because it's devoted to modern art. 

• Like 2