Emerald thoughts.

lara h

First time river cruisers(to be) after about 15 ocean trips. Naturally we are very nervous about the differences, and we know there will be many!

We have decided Emerald is the best fit for our trip after considering so many options. I've tried to read as much as possible, and watch videos of various reviews to get some realistic expectations.

I'm hoping to read here as well from those that have sailed on Emerald. I think "Star" is the vessel for our journey which is Budapest to Munich, mid Aug 2024.

A few questions if I can please:

• Understand drinks outside mealtimes are additional cost. Does anyone have a "menu" of drinks and associated prices?
  • Is there a "better" side for cabins for scenic purposes sailing the journey we are taking?
  • The Active program is one that enticed us to select the line, so how "active" are the excursions?
  • Does the daily program include pool exercises, or anything else that gets the blood pumping of a morning(or whenever)
  •  What would be the best area to have a cabin, (looking at Panorama Balcony class) in relation to noise/

Many thanks and open to ANY other information you may care to share regarding this cruise line.

Lynn

One of your bullets is easy to answer---there is no better side for cabins---during any scenic daytime sailing (middle Rhine, Wachau valley, for example) the best place to be is either outside on the top deck, or in the lounge, with its floor-to-ceiling windows and access to both sides of the ship.

You are really in your cabin only for changing up or sleeping.  

My wife and I are taking a first time Emerald cruise next Aug, this is an itinerary that I found useful from a fellow member here.  This is a July 4th Amsterdam to Basil 2023 trip, which will be different than next year and different based on ports, but it gives some idea of what the daily schedule will look like.  At least it was helpful for my wife and I to look at. 

And according to this link, and others I've seen, the drink prices seem to be between 4-9 euros per drink. 

https://www.atastefortravel.ca/28543-emerald-cruises-review-mother-daughter-trip/

FB_IMG_1691702581528 (1).jpg

FB_IMG_1691702393018.jpg

FB_IMG_1691702381830.jpg

FB_IMG_1691702233705.jpg

FB_IMG_1691702309523.jpg

FB_IMG_1691702375891.jpg

FB_IMG_1691702049377.jpg

FB_IMG_1691580491186.jpg

We have done 2 cruises with Emerald and would happily sail with them again.

For the question about morning exercises --> many boats now have an activity director, but it may be more yoga or tai chi focused instead of exercises that get you jumping.

We found beer very reasonably priced almost everywhere in Europe.  Sometimes cheaper than buying a soft drink. Hard liquor is comparable to prices here at home. We don't order wine outside of meal times - so can't speak to that.  Tea & coffee is available pretty much 24/7 - with a high end coffee machine in the lounge.  They usually have some type of snack (cookie, square etc) along with the tea/coffee. You will have fresh water daily in your room, and on any excursions.  Not sure if they will have bottles as you leave the boat, or give you a reusable bottle for you to fill before you leave for your excursion.

For the cabin, we almost always book Aquarium class (ie: lower level) as we spend very little time in our room... (prefer to save money for the next trip1!!)

Fran

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We had our 1st river cruise in August 2023 on Emerald Destiny from Regensburg to Budapest, the reverse journey to you, and it was fantastic.  All of their river boats are almost identical, and there are no bad cabins. We were on the top deck in a panorama balcony cabin 318 and our friend was on the lower deck in single cabin 101.

I don’t have a pic of the drink prices but from memory outside meal times draught beer was €5 per glass, wine was about €7 per glass and up, and the most expensive spirits I saw was Hendricks Gin for €10. Cocktails were €9 I think.

We had the top drinks package so we didn’t take much notice, the only drinks we could have paid extra for were French champagne and bottles of wine.  Beer and wine is good, and free-flowing at meal times.

We all also received a €50 onboard credit each, in lieu of a backpack or travel wallet that Emerald doesn’t send out in advance any more, and that could be used for drinks, laundry, gift shop items or paid excursions I think.  The free excursions were great, we didn’t opt for any extras.

Some of the active excursions were a little challenging for some, but I was fine with them (I’m a reasonably fit and mobile 63 year old).  There was always a slow/gentle option.

Here’s a pic of the drink package prices onboard.

Happy to answer any other questions you may have about Emerald and that Danube cruise.

Enjoy the cruise… Brett

IMG_0069.jpeg

On 8/24/2023 at 2:12 AM, lara h said:

First time river cruisers(to be) after about 15 ocean trips. Naturally we are very nervous about the differences, and we know there will be many!

We have decided Emerald is the best fit for our trip after considering so many options. I've tried to read as much as possible, and watch videos of various reviews to get some realistic expectations.

I'm hoping to read here as well from those that have sailed on Emerald. I think "Star" is the vessel for our journey which is Budapest to Munich, mid Aug 2024.

A few questions if I can please:

• Understand drinks outside mealtimes are additional cost. Does anyone have a "menu" of drinks and associated prices?
  • Is there a "better" side for cabins for scenic purposes sailing the journey we are taking?
  • The Active program is one that enticed us to select the line, so how "active" are the excursions?
  • Does the daily program include pool exercises, or anything else that gets the blood pumping of a morning(or whenever)
  •  What would be the best area to have a cabin, (looking at Panorama Balcony class) in relation to noise/

Many thanks and open to ANY other information you may care to share regarding this cruise line.

Lynn

I wrote this in 2017 after our 1st Emerald cruise. We liked it so much we did another one in 2019 from Arles to Lyon.
I would avoid the lower level of cabins due to possible noise/vibration from the engines.
We did not do the active excursions - try one out -- if you like it continue.
Ask the cruise director about them, s/he will be very informative and can tell you about the activity.
Wine and beer outside lunch and dinner was very reasonably priced.  Mixed drinks were priced ok too.
Both sides of the ship are equal for views.
The best views are from the glassed in lounge, dining room and open forward deck.
If weather permits the roof is open with chairs and lounges.
I highly recommend that you spend a few nights at your embarkation and disembarkation ports and if possible do the 14 day cruise. Also, Prague is a  day train ride from Budapest - it was a great city to visit too.

JG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was our first river cruise after many ocean cruises because we wanted to visit central Europe and to experience the difference of  a river cruise.  The cruise was 14 nights from Amsterdam to Budapest.

We flew to Amsterdam to tour for 2 days prior to the cruise and I would recommend others to arrive at the embarkation city a few days in advance to adjust to jet lag as well as to enjoy the city.

We chose Emerald because of their full itinerary.

The embarkation process was as easy as could be, it took no more then 3 minutes to get our room keys.  We choose Emerald because their ships are at most 2 years old, they visited all the towns we wanted to see, their pricing was significantly less than their competitors, they had an included excursion at every port, all staff gratuities were included as well as airport or hotel transfers.

The ship's interior was very contemporary, lots of glass and chrome decor and wrap around windows in the lounge and dining room making it easy to have an uninterrupted view of the scenery. Our cabin was well designed with plenty of storage in the cabin and bathroom.  The exterior wall was all glass to maximize viewing whereby you could lower the top half of the glass wall when weather permitted. 

Dining:  
Breakfast was always a large, varied buffet accompanied with made to order eggs and omelets.  There was every sort of cereal, yogurt, deli meats and cheeses, breakfast meats and baked goods.  Everything was of high quality and tasty.
Lunch was also always a large, varied buffet and once again everything was of high quality and very tasty.  Many lunch items were regionally oriented.
Dinner was sit down served by waiters with a different menu every day and comprised of a choice of appetizers, a delicious soup of the day, choice of 3 entrees and 2 desserts.
Overall the dinners were more creative than found on ocean cruise ships and it was plated with an artist's eye for color and flair.

Included daily excursions were conducted by professional local guides that spoke perfect English, were well worth the time and were informative. 

On board extra activities included local talent and demonstrations - ie. a glass blower, an Ompha band, zither player, dancers, etc.  

Our cruise director Jana was a GEM!  She was as pleasant as could be and arranged for a MD to come aboard to treat a few of us for colds.  She even went to the pharmacy in port to pick up the prescriptions the MD ordered.  NOW, that is service!
The rest of the staff did their best to please the passengers.

We can strongly recommend Emerald to anyone who wants to experience a river cruise.

Jerome Giambalvo
jerrygiam@verizon.net

• 1 month later...