Valparaiso Port

jimm942

First time cruising from SA. Leaving from Valparaiso, Chile on Dec 23 (Celebrity Eclipse). Flying into Santiago 1 to 2 days early. Is it better to stay in Santiago or Valparaiso? Is there much to see in Valparaiso?   TIA

I second the recommendation of that tour team. We had a lovely experience with them. 

i didn’t stay in Valparaiso, stayed in Santiago.  But I think it was the better choice. Valparaiso was a bit on the rougher side.   Certainly felt safe in the daytime with a guide but not sure I would have wanted to venture out alone after dark.  In Santiago I would (and did) as it was a gleaming, bustling city at least from the experience in the area we stayed in (Las Condes) earlier in 2023. 

• Like 1

Just here to echo Santiago is a wonderful city,if you stay in the right places.we went in Jan 2023 and had an unexpected evening in an area not known for foreign tourists,more for intracountry,we planned 3 nights so we could sightsee and ended up moving to the Marriott thev2nd day. All on us for not doing more accurate research. So,pay attention  to the dates on the reviews you are reading .

16 hours ago, Shella73 said:

Just here to echo Santiago is a wonderful city,if you stay in the right places.we went in Jan 2023 and had an unexpected evening in an area not known for foreign tourists,more for intracountry,we planned 3 nights so we could sightsee and ended up moving to the Marriott thev2nd day. All on us for not doing more accurate research. So,pay attention  to the dates on the reviews you are reading .

We’ll be there Feb ‘24, have reservations for the Hotel Plaza San Francisco. Saw a few reviews/comments about “marginal” neighborhood. Wondering if you happen to know anything about this hotel? Thanks! 

Edited by JoRoy218

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2023 at 1:32 PM, JoRoy218 said:

We’ll be there Feb ‘24, have reservations for the Hotel Plaza San Francisco. Saw a few reviews/comments about “marginal” neighborhood. Wondering if you happen to know anything about this hotel? Thanks! 

We're staying there in December and will report back!